Motorguide Brute 750 45lb thrust

rtnmi

Cadet
I am attempting to troubleshoot :facepalm: my Motorguide 750 Brute trolling motor.
I have read some of the posts here and downloaded the battery wiring diagram from the sticky.

At the bow both reds are tied together and both blacks are tied together using wirenuts.
Then it's off to the foot petal :facepalm:

Issue I am having is it seems, from the pic I downloaded, that since I have a 4 wire system coming from the trolling motor to the battery comparent and with a 12/24V switch on the foot petal all I do is hook each pair (black/red) to a 12v battery and the 12/14V selector switch at the footpetal takes care of all the switching.

Therefore I do not connect the batteries in series at the batteries, seems that is being done at the selector switch.

Is that an accurate observation?
Seems too simple.:confused:

Thanks Bob

Re: Motorguide Brute 750 45lb thrust

"At the bow both reds are tied together and both blacks are tied together using wirenuts.
Then it's off to the foot petal"

are you on about the pedal to plug connection? i surgest you do not hook up batteries with this connection or it might get ugly. you need to make a drawing so we can be sure what you have and what you want to do with it as it looks like your boat was wired for 12v only

rtnmi

Cadet

"At the bow both reds are tied together and both blacks are tied together using wirenuts.
Then it's off to the foot petal"

are you on about the pedal to plug connection? i surgest you do not hook up batteries with this connection or it might get ugly. you need to make a drawing so we can be sure what you have and what you want to do with it as it looks like your boat was wired for 12v only

Ok here is a more thorough description:
now that I have taken the foot pedal off the boat and looked at the three-wire cable (red, black, white wires inside)

As it turns out, there are 2 sets of black and red wires going to the battery compartment where there are 2 12V batteries.
Both reds are connected to the red going to the foot pedal.
Both blacks are connected to the black going to the foot pedal.
Nothing is connected to the white going to the foot pedal.

This explains why when the batteries where in series and one set of wires red/black where connected for 24v operation, attempting to connect the other set to the 12V side caused major arching.

The other set already had 24V on it!!

Thanks Bob

yep the wiring was set up for either 12 or 24 volts only so now you have to decied what you want the wiring to do either one voltage or both. plus buy a breaker as that arcing can get expensive when the batterys blow up

rtnmi

Cadet

Well I want it to do both as it was intended and designed to do. So I am assuming one of the reds has to go to the white and the others stay the same

are you planning on using the switch at the front of the boat that says something like dual 12 (charge), 12, 12/24 or just running the wires to the plug and bypassing the switch? my surgestion would be to by pass the switch to keep it simple then just rewire the plug

rtnmi

Cadet

are you planning on using the switch at the front of the boat that says something like dual 12 (charge), 12, 12/24 or just running the wires to the plug and bypassing the switch? my surgestion would be to by pass the switch to keep it simple then just rewire the plug

That switch has nothing going to it, not sure what it does even, do you know?
There is no plug where I found out there should be just an empty hole the wire from the foot pedal runs into a hole drilled into the bow instead of to a connector

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

STOP all actions now. Your boat was originally set up with the bow panel that has the 12/24/RUN/CHARGE switch and both pairs of red and black wires ran to it -- not directly to the motor. The motor itself has a three wire system and there are red/black/white as well as red/orange/black wiring. On the red/orange/black configuration, measuring red-black provides 24 volts. Measuring Orange-black provided 12 volts. I have not worked on the red/black/white motors so other than red being 24 volts I can't positively say whether the black or white wire is the 12 volt and negative leads respectively. Either way, those four wires from the batteries MUST go through the switch panel. There is another way to go around that panel directly to the motor and still use the 12/24 switch on the motor. The diagram looks like the one below, but you indicated you want the original setup so this is an alternate setup if you can't get the original working.

12-24Vwiring.jpg

rtnmi

Cadet

That makes sense because before it would work with the foot switch only in the 24V position and nothing in the 12V position. So I think it is safe to assume white is for 12V. So I will go to the switch first from the battery then the control head, 12 white / 24 red / black ground.

What is the charge position for - a charger?

Bob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You will need a diagram of your switch panel to get all those wires connected correctly. The intent of the charge position was to allow both batteries (in parallel) to be charged from the trolling motor receptacle using a single output 12 volt charger. The charge position placed the batteries in parallel for this process.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the battery hook up shown in this thread because my trolling motor has the 12/24 switch but only worked in 12 volt mode. All four wires from the two batters went to the female plug. Now that I hooked them up as shown the 12/24 switch works properly. I gave it only a short test. Is it OK to continue to use it this way with the switch?