Volvo Penta 4.3GS Valve Adjustment?????

:confused:
I have a 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3GS, I have read numerous threads and have seen posts saying there is an adjustment, one posted by Don S. detailing valve adjustment on a V8 (350) by valve lash adjustment and adding one turn after valve lash is eliminated. The manuals (which I have two of) one says the same thing, the other manual says there is no adjustment, torqe the nuts to 20' lbs??? Hearin lies my confusion, I talked to a friend who is a certified boat mechanic and very good,
he stated to turn crank and bring each piston to TDC and adjust exhaught to .015 and intake to .010 thousands.
Now I am really confused, the mechanic told me that the no adjustment applies to Ford motors and not GM.
Reason for post is I had water on #4 & #6 Pistons replaced head gasket,(was not problem) was loose intake bolts as there was no water in oil. Now I just want to make sure the valves are adjusted right before I button it all up, as i removed the push rods when I removed the head.
Thanks,
montereyjoe49

boat 1999 monterey180m
volvo penta 4.3gs 2bl gas no efi

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3GS Valve Adjustment?????

Your valves are not adjustable, torque the rockers to 20 ft lbs. as stated in the service manual.

Thanks for the fast reply, you are truly an asset to this forum,
Thanks once again Don S.

Montereyjoe49

Just a follow up as boater want to know if it's the right answer. Thanks once again to the GURU DON S. torqued valves to 10'lbs, buttoned it up sprayed alittle gas in the carb and it fired right up...

Thanks once again Don S. for the info you are a knowledge base as I have read a lot of posts and you always have insite and advice.
montereyjoe49
ps. going boating thursday..yea!!

my mistake after posting i realized i typed 10'lbs. instead of 20'lbs.as the proper torque on a 4.3GS Volvo Penta, did not want to confuse the issue any further. I know Don S. would not appreciate me knocking ten lbs. off his accurate advice on torque required for the valves.
montereyjoe49