kicker: 2 or 4 stoke?

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First, is it me or is the iBoats.com site slowing way down? It seems to take forever to navigate through the Forum.

Now, to my question. I plan to replace my too small 2-stroke kicker with a newer, used 9hp model on my 19.5' very deep V GLS. To maintain 2.5+ trolling speed in Lake Michigan wind and waves, I periodically need more juice, and it is nice to know I can come in from 5 miles away from my home channel when a storm is brewing and the main won't start. It only happened once (in a smaller boat), but it was comforting to have the spare. I'm pretty certain I'll buy a long shaft, and, at my age, I'd like to have electric start, which may add weight. I think I want 4-stroke which has the advantages of being quieter and much more fuel efficient. I think (and this is where I need help) a 9hp 4-stroke is heavier than a 9hp 2-stroke by ~20lbs if both have electric start, and may be a bit harder to manually start. 4-stroke has more moving parts to malfunction, and may have more seasonal maintenance to complicate my life. Two-stroke is lighter, probably less maintenance, but may use a lot more gas. Those are my thoughts, and now I need your opinions. Would you recommend a 2-stroke kicker or a 4-stroke? Why?

Some of you pro's out there will probably shed a lot of light on this. I really don't want to spend $1,000 or so, then realize I've made a mistake. Please help.

beermak

Seaman
Re: kicker: 2 or 4 stoke?

In that power (less than 10hp) the fuel consumption is pointless im my view

In that size ill go with a 2 stroker, cheaper, juicer and lighter.

Im my experience 2's have been more reliable and cheaper to fix

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a hard choice.

I had a '97 9.9 Johnny 4 stroke electric start that was really smooth and quiet and drove my Boston Whaler Tender 11 around nicely, but: It weighed over 100lb and routine maintenance was several times what a 2 stroke, at many pounds lighter, would need.

I think I would consider compatibility with my main power plant as far as fuel goes. 9.9 2 strokes usually require premix, which might not be the ticket for the main engine and would end up requiring a separate fuel supply. That means more weight and space.

I think in the end I would choose an outboard that is a relative of the main engine and uses the same fuel supply.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I love the smell of 2-strokes in the morning. That being said, I would look for a 2-stroke just for the weight savings.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I've had both and I like my merc pro-kicker 4 stroke the best. Don't understand the "extra" maintenance everyone is talking about. Yes I have to change the oil and filter but I don't have to buy any 2-stroke oil to run it. The spark plugs last longer. I don't love the smell of two stroke in the morning and I like to talk to my fishing buddies without yelling over the motor noise. If the 20lbs of weight is that important leave oneIMGP0785.JPG case of beer at the dock.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I think in the end I would choose an outboard that is a relative of the main engine and uses the same fuel supply.

agree .... we are having this same discussion over a kicker for our boat .... have pretty much settled on a 2 cycle 15 hp E-TEC to use with our current 90 hp Johnson .... granted the 15 is heavy and more motor than I need in a kicker but I want to stay with a motor made in the USA

Jim

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

What you want is the lightest kicker available. Weight is the main issue in my mind. If you are putting it on a bracket, its the only issue.

My 9.9 runs so quiet at troll speed that sound is not an issue. I troll at about .5 gal/hour, so fuel is not an issue. She starts easier than my lawn mower (as far as pull force), so an electric start is yet more weight that isn't needed (for me that is and I'm old too....LOL). Now, for my 25 yeah I'd like an electric start too.

If you are on a bracket, a short shaft is what you want. You can move the bracket to fit the motor. A long shaft will be too low in the water when you raise it. If its on the transom, then use whatever fits the transom.

Expidia

Commander

Its one thing if you already owned a two stroke (we have one 2 stroke but a 9.9 Merc 4 stoke too).

But why would any sportsman purposely go out and by a two stroke at this point in the game in my opinion??? They squirt oil into our pristine lakes! I cant wait to upgrade the 25 hp two stroke Merc. I'll miss its lightweightness but not the stink and expensive two stroke oil plus mixing it at every fill up.

Good article here on Lake Tahoe banning them years back http://www.trpa.org/default.aspx?tabid=349
I wish Lake George in NY would ban them already. I went to Tahoe last year and it's pristine beauty is very similar to Lake George.

I dont think you would go wrong with a 9.9 4 stroke, better resale too. Unless of course its an Etec but I think they are over priced and expensive to repair or service.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

My decision would be based on the fuel requirements for the main power plant. A four stroke main or a two stroke with oil injection would allow easy use of a four stroke kicker. A main engine that uses premix would cause me to chose a premix kicker, as well.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jim, No bracket. It attaches directly onto the stern next to the 100hp. Is your 9.9 a 2-stroke or 4-stroke? I am wanting to get away from mixing oil+gas and hope I can find a 2-stroke with an internal oil resevoir and pump like on large 2-stroke outborad engines. If I can't find that, I may end up with the 4-stroke so I can draw from my current 26 gal tank.

Do you notice the iBoat site slowing down in page refresh rate?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Jim, No bracket. It attaches directly onto the stern next to the 100hp. Is your 9.9 a 2-stroke or 4-stroke? I am wanting to get away from mixing oil+gas and hope I can find a 2-stroke with an internal oil resevoir and pump like on large 2-stroke outborad engines. If I can't find that, I may end up with the 4-stroke so I can draw from my current 26 gal tank.

Do you notice the iBoat site slowing down in page refresh rate?

Mine is a 2-stroke, premix. Personally, that's the only way I would go. I have had 2-stroke oil injected motors in the past and always had problems with the delivery system. It takes me only seconds to add the oil to the tank - doesn't bother me a bit and i'm sure of what i got.

I don't see any site problems on my puter.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Its one thing if you already owned a two stroke (we have one 2 stroke but a 9.9 Merc 4 stoke too).

But why would any sportsman purposely go out and by a two stroke at this point in the game in my opinion??? They squirt oil into our pristine lakes! I cant wait to upgrade the 25 hp two stroke Merc. I'll miss its lightweightness but not the stink and expensive two stroke oil plus mixing it at every fill up.

Good article here on Lake Tahoe banning them years back http://www.trpa.org/default.aspx?tabid=349
I wish Lake George in NY would ban them already. I went to Tahoe last year and it's pristine beauty is very similar to Lake George.

I dont think you would go wrong with a 9.9 4 stroke, better resale too. Unless of course its an Etec but I think they are over priced and expensive to repair or service.

The OP is looking for used and has limited his price range, thus his choices are limited as well.

I'm all for pristine waters. Is lake George badly polluted after these 100 or so years of being contaminated by 2-stroke OB motors? (just asking - I've never been there)

Several lakes in my area (southern NY / Northern PA Quaker State oil country) have oil in the water because its just seeping out of the ground. Mother Nature has her own way of handling things!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I've been toying with the idea of going with a 4 stroke kicker vs. a 2stroke. The idea of a quieter ride for trolling is very appealing, though the extra weight and extra $$$ isn't at all appealing. Pretty much keeps me out of the 4 stroke game all together.

One thing that was mentioned, using the main fuel tank as the supply, scratching my head on that one:confused:

I surely realize that it would be way more convenient. BUT! I work with the idea I want a completely separate system for the kicker in case of emergency (redundancy).

Knowhattamean:)

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with JB. Match with whatever fuels the main engine.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with JB. Match with whatever fuels the main engine.

X2 on that, I run my 4 stroke from main tank which is internal and its a lot easier.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

One thing that was mentioned, using the main fuel tank as the supply, scratching my head on that one:confused:

I surely realize that it would be way more convenient. BUT! I work with the idea I want a completely separate system for the kicker in case of emergency (redundancy).

Knowhattamean:)

Now you're thinkin!