1980 80 HP choke question

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a new motor to me, and Im trying to get it to be reliable and sell it..... Im having a hard time starting it and I believe its flooding out. When it starts, it runs great.

My question.... EVERY time I turn the key the choke solenoid engages even when I DONT push it in. Is this normal or is something stuck maybe in the controls. I was wondering if there is some temp sensor that engages the choke until the engine warms up?

It will eventually start. Motor has strong spark at all plugs...turns over fine, compression is 125 psi on each cyl. New gas......and the switch is turned to ON.

The last time I got it running...I had to pull all 4 plugs and let it sit but that was because it was MY fault it flooded. Im not used to the ON OFF switch on Merc controls (it was in the OFF position)....Evenrude just uses the key to turn the motor OFF. :)

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1980 80 HP choke question

Sounds like the choke switch in the box is shorted as the choke is designed to work only when the button is pushed

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1980 80 HP choke question

Thanks..... I just moved the controls to another boat along with the engine.... the sw was a little lose, I suspect the problem is there and simple :)