Cause and Repair or Salvage of Deteriorating Stator Wires

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So while doing a pre start tune up of my 50Hp mariner/Merc that had been stored for about 10 years I found some significantly deteriorating wires. I found the insulation on the white, and white and black striped wires on my trigger assembly were deteriorating so bad it was just crumbling off the wire. This deterioration was basically from one end to the other so it was impossible to save them. In addition the wire itself looked to be oxidizing. As a result i bought a new trigger assembly. Now I have found a similar situation on my stater assembly. The deterioration is also on two white wires. these are the main wires to the connection block. The difference here is that the problem seems to be very limited to a specific 1/2 - 3/4 inch area where they may have also been exposed and compromised to some cutting. The insulation here did not crumble but I was able to peal it off easily for about an inch. one wire looked like it was starting to oxidize also. Since the rest of the wire seems to be in tack and a new stator is many dollars I'm looking to try and repair, replace or somehow save these two wires. Any feed back with similar experiences , insite to the cause of this or other advice from those more knowledgeable would be great appreciated.

M

Maxz695

Re: Cause and Repair or Salvage of Deteriorating Stator Wires

If there is enough wire to strip back and find good copper. You might be able to use an electric soldering iron to solder new wires on. The have plastic shrink connectors that after soldering them can be heated to make a tight fit

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

repairing wires to me is like going up in a one motored airplane and hoping I will make it back home

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

repairing wires to me is like going up in a one motored airplane and hoping I will make it back home

depends on who did the wiring, if done right and/or replaced with new you will make it, if not or haywired together with a bunch of garbage prepare to make an unscheduled landing or wave your orange flag on the water and hope someone will give you a tow.

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

being new at bigger boating 5 hp up to 115hp this year , I tested my boat and tested it again before I went out. When I went out first time it was great . fished and hour or two , want to move to aother place. it started then stoped. I tryed the two hour's to get help without calling for it. all kindes of boat going by orange flag all less an 1000yards from ramp someone do stop to help.Think it over

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Get some liquid electrical tape and paint the wires with several coats. Clean the wires with electrical contact cleaner first. Let it dry after each coat. Squish the liquid tape right into the stator. I used an artist brush, the one in the can just don't get it. Did that five years ago on my 1979 1/2 inline 115hp. Still running great.