adding a third toon

Lonnie5

Seaman Apprentice
I am thinking on adding a third toon to my 84 24ft pontoon with 18in diameter toons. would you just bolt the third toon to the cross braces?

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: adding a third toon

As long as there are brackets welded to the toon, yes they would be bolted to the cross members. The location of the brackets would have to match the cross members. Also would either be a shorter toon, or have a transom to replace original transom.

Glenn

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You can do that but it is a bit more complicated than just throwing a few bolts in, your first concern is you have 18'' tubes, which I think are really 19'', never heard of 18'' tubes, anyhow, finding a center tube that is 18''-19'' diameter is going to be a challenge, normally center tubes are quite alot larger, normally 25''.

you could use one of them but it would effectivley turn the outboard tubes into outriggers and I think the boat would be horrible in any kind of wake or wave situation since it is ridding on the center tube but there are companies that do that to get a banking boat.

Once you find a tube you have to be sure it will fit under you boat with the engine in the right place and all the brackets line up.

SO yes it can be done but there is a good bit of math and alot of tape measure reading invloved.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not trying to hijack his thread but...

I have a 24' with 22in tubes. What would the implications be of throwing say a 18'x24 tube on and keeping the existing motor pod? Cause all the single tubes out there don't have transoms. I know the guy in st louis will weld one on but figured i'd ask.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

We actually do that at work, it is called an express package, they have a short center tube but a normal motor pod, they are quite popular and work pretty well.

As long as you can find a tube that is short enough to clear the pod you are good.

And I think you may have hijacked the thread even though you tried not too.