Boat prevent Maintenance

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
Okay so don't judge my spelling of title if wrong. My question is this, I live in Orange County California nice weather all year round and my boat will be stored in garage when not being used.

What exactly should I do to my boat if storing for a few months until spring inside my warm garage and no freezing temperatures? Its a 1984 Seaswirl OMC 3.0 Liter w/ OMC Stern drive. Sorry if this is posted in wrong spot and if so feel free to move it.

Not exactly winterizing it so I'm guessing some things to still do like treat gas or drain, change oils, etc and then impeller and points for next spring, anything else?

cr2k

Captain
Re: Boat prevent Maintenance

Fuel stabilizer, lube service (change oil in engine and drive) so if there is any water it doesn't settle out and rust stuff, grease all fittings. Store drive in down position if I/O to minimize stress on bellows. Battery on tender. Spring is tune-up, impeller time.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Cr2k,
Thanks I was just unsure even living in california if certain things were necessary. Just like any vehicle if car has been sitting for a extended amount of time, its best to change fluids. (Tune up as well!)

So without saying the bad word (***%$*) :), then it would be the same.

When this time comes which will be in next week or two I will do this thanks.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yup, thats about it, with no freezing temps you don't need to worry about draining the block or anything, just get some stabilizer in the gas and check/change your oils.

That would be nice, around here even the most die hard guys, that would be me, don't go out after Thanksgiving and then it is mid March before I can get out again but I will take some snow and let you keep the earth quakes.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

also, store with plug out and bow up a bit so any water picked up during the last outing can work its way out

Jim

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

First I would like to thank all the quick responses and full details. I will follow directions in the couple weeks to come.

Next I apologize for posting in wrong location, and thanks mods for relocating.