Tilt trim fill and bleed hydraulic

wild n crazy

Seaman
My dear friends, please help once again. I like to bleed down the hydraulic fluid on a 79 100 HP Johnson tilt trim, I have been reading, but still wanted to do it safe, since I have to deal with hydraulic. Please help. When I bleed down, my trim should be in the all the way down or all the way up position, do I have to undo any fluid fitting to completely drain ? I see cross slot screw like on the unit, is that my fill port? and last question, do I fill the fluid with the engine down or up, I can see it's kind of hard to fill with the engine down. Thank you all in advance.

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: Tilt trim fill and bleed hydraulic

To completely drain the fluid you would need to take the power trim off the engine or atleast turn the whole thing upside down.

by undoing the screw to release presure youl be able to let a lot of the fluid out, but not all of it.

Now when filling it you have it back on the engine or in the similar position and fill when the big ram is all the way up .
then move trim all the way down and back up, wait a minute then repeat up and down after filling again.

this needs to be done about 5 times with atleast a few minutes to get rid of any trapped air or air bubbles in fluid.

While you are waiting in between fills you can do a bit of other maintainance with the grease gun etc .
so only fill in the up position, and becarefull of trapping your fingers and keep it supported when filling.
Better to take care than lose your fingers.

phill

wild n crazy

Seaman
Re: Tilt trim fill and bleed hydraulic

Thank you a whole lot Mr Phill, Especially the safety part. I really do appreciate you and other that are up here helping out.