Growing old alone?

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
We are both in fine fiddle now, so hopefully this is many years off but it is something that I have been thinking about for awhile. Where would you turn or how would you find someone to trust to handle your personal health and financial decisions for you if/when you are no longer able to? Having trusted adult children or a close younger family member that could step in and take over probably is the norm and would be the best but my wife and I are not going to have that available to us. We have my sister on all our documents and that's okay for now but she is only a couple of years younger so she might very well be facing the same issues as we age. I doubt if doctors do this but maybe a younger trust attorney or someone? I really have no idea who to consider or where to start and was hoping that we might get some suggestions or thoughts about this.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Growing old alone?

Having just gone thru this with my father, I would get power of attorney set up for both medical and financial, as well as both a living will and a will. your financial adviser should be able to help. I have trusted my daughter with my care. I did tell her to make sure I'm dying before pulling any plug.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I signed a living will that stated I did not want to be kept alive by electronic stimulus nor liquid nutrition and the wife witnessed my signature.

Dang it if the following night while I was watching a football game she didn't unplug the TV and throw out my beer.:redface:

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for that link Tyme, I think that's the kind of service that we will need to look into.

Scott, we recently went thru this with my mother also and I had the power of attorney and was able to handle her affairs. That definitely took a load off our minds and made things easier. My sister will be setup with power of attorney for us but I'm worried that she might be getting frail also just about the time that we might need help.

DayCruiser, that's not a bad idea but I'm worried that I wont remember where I put the grenade when I need it.:)

Tyme2fish

Commander

DayCruiser, that's not a bad idea but I'm worried that I wont remember where I put the grenade when I need it.:)

Paint the grenade gold. Get a chain to hang it around your neck and show off your new bling!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Do you have an attorney? Perhaps he/she would be an alternative.

emoney

Commander

If you don't already have one, it's time to find a trusted Estate Attorney. That person's office will handle everything from a Living Will to dispersement of any estate assets.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

If you don't already have one, it's time to find a trusted Estate Attorney. That person's office will handle everything from a Living Will to dispersement of any estate assets.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, you have given me some ideas on where to start looking for help.