Help locating trim for aluminum boat (top rail?) Starcraft 12' Speedster

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm stuck restoring a '58 Starcraft Speedster. Many of the originals had wooden gunnel(?) trim on the top edge of the sides of the craft. Whatever was came on my boat is long gone. My boat has nothing but the exposed sharp edge of a single sheet of aluminum. I tried to make a wooded trim but after ripping a clear piece of white ash, routing a eased edge on both top edges and making a slit in the bottow of the trim but can't bend the trim unless I steam it and don't have access to a 13' steamer. I would rather replace it with some aluminum top cap (gunnel rail?) or whatever it is called and not have to worry about it weathering like wood.

Does anyone know of a source that I can purchase this type of trim? This would be the same top-side railing that you find on any Jon boat or other small aluminum boat. I even purchased a tree damaged 12' salvaged aluminum boat hoping to salvage the railing off it but it was tack welded and wouldn't budge. My $50 salvage boat brought $33 at the scrap yard!

Any outlets you can suggest?

Thanks - Don

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help locating trim for aluminum boat (top rail?) Starcraft 12' Speedster

Hey Don!

You've got a heck of a challenge there.

I almost bought a Speed Queen for the sole reason and allure of the wood gunwale. I think you should keep at the original design of this rig, you can do it!

I haven't personally done it, but I'm pretty sure you can build yourself a steamer box to what ever dimensions you like. Kind of a pain and a bunch of extra work, but I think it would be worth it.

Another route you could go is to cut multiple thin strips and then shape them to the hull, adding, clamping, gluing, repeat...

The alternative would be custom fabbing a new alum gunwale. To get the curvature you need, without specialized tools, I think it would be a tough go. So, getting a pro to do it, $$$.

My vote? Stick with wood:D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

There's alway the plywood cap option = quicker, easier, cheaper, and less frustration.

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the 2 replys. I may have mislead with the term "restoration", I don't plan to restore as new since the bow deck is long gone. My hope is to renew the boat to become an open hull 12' fishing boat so aluminum trim would be best for my needs. Any other suggestions where I might purchase some aluminum gunwale?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Any other suggestions where I might purchase some aluminum gunwale?

You'll need to have some custom fabbed from your local metal guy.

My guess is that what you'll pay to have that done could probably cover the cost of a little 12' utility you could put in the water today and go fishing.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Here is a looks like crap suggestion and if you will post a few pictures including one close up detail, I might come up with something better.

The crap suggestion: Slit a piece of 1/2" PVC conduit and that cap off with that. At least it bends.

The best suggestion to date is thin strips of wood bent, glued and spar varnished.