Weight limit on bayliner??

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
'86 Bayliner capri cuddy. weight limit plate says 5 people or 750 lbs. How strick are these numbers? If I have more people and get stopped will I get fined? How does it work with kids? If I have 3 adults and 3 kids is it still considered over 5 or will it go by weight? Thanks for your replys. Chris

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Weight limit on bayliner??

If you are stopped by CoastGuard, you play by their rules.<br /><br />If stopped by local or state authorities, you play by their rules, which may be the same as the CG rules.<br /><br />How any of these rules get enforced depends on you, them, circumstances, and fate.

sloopy

Commander

5 people or 750 pounds? thats 150 pounds each! I guess it really depends on how much gear you have aboard. You don't want to carry more then5 people, if the Coast Guard sees that they will give you a ticket, They wont care about you being a little over the weight limit, unless it is real obvious.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I agree with the rest, it is going to be up to the officer asking the questions. I know around here that there must be a seat for each individual aboard. If you are underway, the authorities want everyone to be seated in seats that came with the boat. Added chairs don't count. Main thing is for your own safty is not to overload the capacity rating.

Jemc02

Cadet

I believe the rule means 5 people or 750 pounds "whichever comes first"(might even say that on the capacity plate). So my large brother and his two large fishing buddies would max your boat out since each goes around 250# plus gear. <br /><br />I also think that the authorities won't bother you too much about the weight issue but if they see 6-7 people (yes, kids count as people too) on a boat that they know should only have 5 they will probably stop you and probably give you a ticket. <br /><br />Letting someone go when they have knowingly broken the rules would just encourage them to continue breaking the law. They would probably think think that if they gave a ticket, the people would be less likely to continue to break the rules.<br /><br />I would also worry about the liability issue that if you were obviously overloaded and someone got hurt you really lose the ability to defend yourself. The law people see that you have knowingly broken the rules so your ability to make good decisions gets called into question a lot faster. <br /><br />And yes, my boat has the same ratios...9 people or 1350#...I guess they think that my daughters weight will be offset by mine since I weigh a "little" more than 150#.<br /><br />Be safe and have fun....

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

And yes, my boat has the same ratios...9 people or 1350#
That's interesting. I guess people are lighter nowadays ;) . I'm almost positive my boat says 8 people or 1500#. I guess it has to do with seating arrangement in reality, like Mayfloat was saying..

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My boat says 8 people or 1200. 1988. It's a standard calculation, they take the max weight and divide by 150 to get max heads.