1994 50 hp Starter spinning wont engage..HELP

MP1

Cadet
My starter spins rapidly when I turn the key however the gear is not engaging the flywheel noticed some smoke coming from it when the starter was turning.....is there a fix for this other than replacing the starter..... appreciate any help.

Re: 1994 50 hp Starter spinning wont engage..HELP

Lube the bendix shaft. Use a very small amount of a light grease. I used to use a drop of a light oil, but I read that it's better to use grease because starters can fail after enough oil seeps down to the brushes.

Rick.

Captain

Lube the bendix shaft. Use a very small amount of a light grease. I used to use a drop of a light oil, but I read that it's better to use grease because starters can fail after enough oil seeps down to the brushes.

Just in case you don't know what a bendix shaft is, it is the shaft the starter gear that should engage the flywheel is on. LOL. Bendix isn't even on my spell checker so probably not a common term anymore although correct. Best of luck. Rick.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The smoke is bothersome - clean all connections to the starter & try it. If it still smokes you are probably due for a starter rebuild.