What Mercruiser engine is this (PIC INSIDE)?

St8-E

Cadet
I accidently posted this in the outboard forum, also...Idiot new guy!!

I am new to the boating world, and am in the market for one. The attached picture is out of a 1996 Crownline 225 CCR. The owner says it's a "350 Magnum Motor"...obviously there is a difference between the "regular" 5.7L and the 5.7L Magnum as far as HP goes (260 and 300)...I have only seen the picture below and haven't seen the boat in person. I have trolled all over the internet in an attempt to find a picture of a 1996 Mercruiser Magnum motor, but can't find a pic of one inside the vessel. I was told that it will say "Magnum" on the plastic cover on top of the motor. Is there anything else I can look for that differentiates the normal 5.7 and the Magnum? The owner had this boat for 12 years, so I have to think he knows what type of engine he has...but for some reason, this motor looks like a normal 5.7

THANKS!!

IMG_1468.JPG

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What Mercruiser engine is this (PIC INSIDE)?

If it was a Mag 350, it would say so on that top cover. What is the serial number on the tag on the block above and aft of the starter?

St8-E

Cadet

If it was a Mag 350, it would say so on that top cover. What is the serial number on the tag on the block above and aft of the starter?

I haven't seen it in person yet...I am trying to save myself a trip if there is some "mis" information in the advertisement. The boat itself is immaculate...but I am kind of bummed if this isn't the magnum engine. I am thinking it probably isn't now...

Don,

I accidently posted this exact same thread in the mercury outboard engine, it can be deleted...I am sorry!

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don you beat me to it.....Serial numbers for the engine will tell exactly what it is, the only magnum I saw was at the marine shop about three weeks ago, and it had magnum written on the top cover. Serial numbers will tell everything about a particular part ( drive, engine,
etc.) To me it looks like a normal 5.7l, but to be sure get the serial number.

Pete104

Lieutenant

That's what Merc called a "350 Magnum" thru '95. Seeing in a '96 Crownline, sure. Vortec style heads, cast iron hi-rise intake! I think they bumped the HP up to 270 on that motor as well.

Don S

Without an engine serial number, people can guess all they want, and give all kinds of reasons for what it is. There was also an LX series in those years with that hi-rise intake. There was also 350 Magnum decals used on the Mag, and they sure aren't visible in that picture.

TilliamWe

Banned

That's what Merc called a "350 Magnum" thru '95. Seeing in a '96 Crownline, sure. Vortec style heads, cast iron hi-rise intake! I think they bumped the HP up to 270 on that motor as well.

That motor is NOT a 350 Magnum. It does NOT have Vortec heads. Count the intake manifold bolts and look at their position. I can see 4 intake bolts just on the left front side. That means there are two more in the back I can't see. That means 12 total intake bolts. Vortec Heads have only 8 total intake manifold botls.

When you get the serial number, it will not match to a 350MAG.

TilliamWe

Banned

ANd also, hard to tell, but that sure doesn't look like a Rochester quadrajet under that cover. It "looks" more like a 2bbl. Which would make it a 250hp 5.7.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Crownline has a 350 magnum in it and it clearly states it on the decals on the engine. for a 96 that looks very clean, may have been detailed but it looks like something I would pursue if in the market.

St8-E

Cadet

Finally went out to see this boat in person, in such good shape...owner has had it for 12 years and is about as anal about maintenance as I am...here are the serial #'s I got off the Transom, Drive, and engine

Engine: 0F793775
Transom: 0F844425
Drive: 0F864743

It has a Mercruiser Alpha 1 Drive

Don S

Standard 5.7L Alpha model number 457B100JS 1996 TB5 engine. The drive is also a 1.62 ratio drive, which is odd for a 5.7, but it was original with the boat. The transom number doesn't match though. it should end in a 9 not a 5. Perhaps you just copied it wrong.
It's also an alpha I Gen II drive, not just an Alpha I, they ended in 1990.

St8-E

Cadet

Thanks Don!
You are correct the transom does end with a 9...I did copy it wrong...you mentioned about the 1.62 not being common...is that something I should be concerned about? I am assuming that this engine is 250-260 HP then...

Don S

I wouldn't worry about the ratio. Obviously there was a reason for it, and it has been working ok since 96. I only mentioned it because you normally see a 1.5 ratio on a 5.7, on a 5.0 about half the time they used the 1.62.
The boat manufacturer probably found through trial and error testing the 1.62 worked better with that hull.

TilliamWe

Banned

Standard 5.7L Alpha model number 457B100JS 1996 TB5 engine. The drive is also a 1.62 ratio drive, which is odd for a 5.7, but it was original with the boat...

So DonS, does that engine have a 2bbl carb? If it does, it's only 210hp, which might explain the "need" for a 1.62 ratio.

Don S

So DonS, does that engine have a 2bbl carb? If it does, it's only 210hp, which might explain the "need" for a 1.62 ratio.

All I'm saying is it came with the 1.62 from Merc and it's been that way since day one so there is no reason for him to be concerned.
I have no idea which carb it has, looks like the 2bbl from the picture. The hp rating is 235 for his engine, and the 350 mag was only 250.
300 didn't happen until you got to the 350 MPI Gen + engines in 96 and 97.

TilliamWe

Banned

You last post and your response in #14 paints the whole picture, thanks. Only 235hp in a 22'+ boat, the manufacturer realized the 1.62 was better suited than the 1.5.

St8-E

Cadet

I bought this boat today...looking forward to contributing and learning on this site...thanks for everyone's help/input!

86 century

Ensign

Congrats if the rest of the boat is as clean as the eng I would say it was well taken care of.