Alumacraft Classic 165 CS Ski Performance with a 70 hp Yamaha

jcminnesota

Cadet
I am considering ordering an Alumacraft Classic 165 CS with a new Yamaha 70 HP. I would expect to have 3 adults in the boat while towing. Will I be able to get an adult skier up easily? A kneeboarder?

A Yamaha performance test with an Alumacraft and a 70 indicated 6.5 seconds to go from 0-20. It starts to go on plane at 10 mph. I have no idea of how to read that for pulling a skier....any opinions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alumacraft Classic 165 CS Ski Performance with a 70 hp Yamaha

As the owner of that boat with a 75 Merc you will indeed have enough power for the three or four adults. Now then, Yamaha's are not exactly "stump pullers" so once you start tubing and pulling skiers (with the three adults aboard) you will be wanting more power and so will the skiers. This situation will be made worse if you chose a four-stroke. You will be wishing you had a 90.

jcminnesota

Cadet

Thanks Silvertip for the response sounds like the boat will be fine with 3-4 adults in fishing/cruising mode....I should clarify.....for skiing or tubing we would be pulling a 190 lb adult and have myself and one other passenger in the boat. What do you think about this for the new yamaha 70? Also I see you have a Merc 75 on your boat on another forum response. I checked and Yamaha makes a 75 that has a bigger block displacement than the 70....and also weighs 125 lbs more! I don't pull skiers often (maybe 2-3 times a year) and we also do kneeboarding which requires less tractor pull out of the hole to get going, and a lower run speed (15-20 for kneeboarding and 25-30 for slalom skiing)

I am thinking the boat will be just fine for kneeboarding but marginal for a slalom ski deep water start but okay for two skis with 2 adults in the boat. What do you think?

Also what do you think of going from a 70 to 75? I am thinking for the bit of extra performance it is not a good tradeoff for the 125 lbs and poorer gas mileage.

Anyone have opinions? Silvertip?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Have you looked at the Navigator series? You can put a 90hp on a 165 cs. I'm guessing it's the next step up from the Classic, which max is 75hp? Obviously, a few more bucks... 90hp for water sports would be much better than a 70. I see the Dominator and Competitor series 165 cs also max out at 90hp.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

90hp for water sports would be much better than a 70.

agree .... too many times over the years I've settled for motors which were well under the boat's rated hp only to regret it later .... its usually not too difficult to back off the throttle with a more powerful engine but it is extremely difficult to get more power out of a marginal engine

Jim

wrflyer

Cadet

I have been looking at the same boat (Max HP 75HP), only the full windshield version, and am sold on 2 stroke Evinrude
E-Tech motors. You may want to check out there link or some of the videos they offer before you decide. They are not the same as the old carb versions. You motor is the most importent part of any boat. 4 stroke motors take a little longer to wind up. You should also consider a second prop, one to pull skiers with, regardless what motor you choose.