Urathane Marine Paint by Sherwin Williams

Thalasso

Commander
My blue colored gel coat is in dire need of being refinished above and just below the rub rail. A place that does boat refinishing recommended this instead of new gel coat because it wont chalk anymore. Any suggestions on this weather or not this is a good practice?
In the picture it doesn't look that bad but on the port side the sun has wreaked havoc on it. I have sanded it and buffed over the years but it really could use some good refinishing.

IMG_0227-1.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Urathane Marine Paint by Sherwin Williams

I do a LOT of Reading and Researching about Paint etc... for guys here on the forum an I've never heard of anyone on iBoats using this particular Paint. It appears to be a normal 2 part Epoxy Paint. There are several other brands that are commonly used by iBoat members but not Sherwin Williams. Maybe one of the PROS on the forum has had some "Hands On" experience or knowledge of the product.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I cannot see your gelcoat well enough take a hi res photo of the bad areas. Its amazing what can be done to gel and i would not leave it unless you want some fancy paint lines...Take the time to post some pics most gel can be restored to like new with a litle work

Thalasso

Commander

I cannot see your gelcoat well enough take a hi res photo of the bad areas. Its amazing what can be done to gel and i would not leave it unless you want some fancy paint lines...Take the time to post some pics most gel can be restored to like new with a litle work

If you notice, the spot that looks like a water mark will buff out but comes back looking like this. When buffed out it leaves a outline of the problem area. I was told it was a repair that has gone south over the years. The boat is a 07. That is not a decal with water underneath. I don't think it is a repair because i can see a little bit of the same coming up on the other side

IMG_0268.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If you notice, the spot that looks like a water mark will buff out but comes back looking like this. When buffed out it leaves a outline of the problem area. I was told it was a repair that has gone south over the years. The boat is a 07. That is not a decal with water underneath. I don't think it is a repair because i can see a little bit of the same coming up on the other side

IMG_0268.jpg

Its a repair ..

4 winns ?

Yea they had some good gel on those boats.. thing was you needed to be Good at the application for repair.

You could probably wetsand/buff the outline but it will come back in no time right ?

Cat problem..

I have never worked with SW paints before .. but its not to say that its not a good paint.

I know you would probably want to respray with paint then goto patching with gel. ( unless the company will fix it for free :) ) .

YD.

Thalasso

Commander

Its a repair ..

4 winns ?

Yea they had some good gel on those boats.. thing was you needed to be Good at the application for repair.

You could probably wetsand/buff the outline but it will come back in no time right ?

Cat problem..

I have never worked with SW paints before .. but its not to say that its not a good paint.

I know you would probably want to respray with paint then goto patching with gel. ( unless the company will fix it for free :) ) .

YD.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try FourWinns but i doubt it. The boat is an 07

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

YD.

Sorry.. thats where the english language failed me again ..

It should have read " want to respray with paint Than goto patching.." .. as in you paint and blend and not even apply the gelcoat. Not spray paint and then gelcoat .. my bad.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try FourWinns but i doubt it. The boat is an 07

Spectrum has it as a stock mix .. but your 07 could be one of two colors.

Spectrum 2005-2007 midnight blue .. #3787

or..

Spectrum 2007-2011 classic navy Val BG #3702a

Im thinking its the 3787 blue gel. Double check with 4W. and ask for known issues with that gel.

Worth a try ..

YD.