New Business Name

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am thinking about starting a commercial masonry business. It will go in my wife's name for WBE. We have been trying to come up with a good name. I want to stick in A, B or C to be at the top of the call list. I am not a fan of using our name. Thinking of something that represents integrity or durable. Any suggestions?

emoney

Commander
Re: New Business Name

Be safe and use "Aardvark Masonry". The double "A"s get you at the top, PLUS, you get the benefit of people always remembering your name without having to go the normally long process of branding.

Think about it....I just put the word "Aardvark" in your head and you know it's stuck. Couple that with a well-drawn Aardvark and you've got "instant logo". If you incorporate, you'll be Aardvark Masonry, Inc. and you can always shorten the name (once it's stuck in the community) to "AMI"

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't worry about the phone book listing. It's not the advantage many think it is with the internet around.

Very good point. Our local phone company stopped distributing phone books 5 years ago. If you want to find a company to provide a service you Google the service. Google results are driven off of key word searches which have nothing to do with your order in the alphabet. Your company name could begin with Z and with the right key word in place you will pop up first on the screen

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A-hole with Bricks will get their attention. :D

Seriously, a-b-or c doesn't matter like it used to.
Commercial business gets most contracts thru bidding and networking, very little thru phone book listings.

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, it is now stuck in my head. Not a bad idea really...
Be safe and use "Aardvark Masonry". The double "A"s get you at the top, PLUS, you get the benefit of people always remembering your name without having to go the normally long process of branding.

Think about it....I just put the word "Aardvark" in your head and you know it's stuck. Couple that with a well-drawn Aardvark and you've got "instant logo". If you incorporate, you'll be Aardvark Masonry, Inc. and you can always shorten the name (once it's stuck in the community) to "AMI"

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bidders lists are often in alpha order so contractors start calling at the top of the list and many stop when they get 6 or 8 affirmative replys.

A-hole with Bricks will get their attention. :D

Seriously, a-b-or c doesn't matter like it used to.
Commercial business gets most contracts thru bidding and networking, very little thru phone book listings.

emoney

Commander

I'm telling you, when it comes to "Branding" we're in my wheel house. Do this as a "test" for whatever name you settle on: Share the name one time only with everyone in your circle of influence. Make sure, of course, you have their attention, and be specific that you're trying out names. Then, wait a week to 10 days and ask each one of them if they remember the business name you came up with. Whatever % of that circle of influence that can recall the name, divide that # in half and that's what your target audience will be able to recall. In other words, if 40% of your friends can recall the name you gave them one time only a week ago, then 20% of the public will be able to recall the name as well. Memory recollection is HUGE to a business as most people are so lazy they'd prefer to not even have to Google for a business, if they can get away with it at least. Even those that do, if they've had the name stuck into their memory banks, regardless of how much exposure they've had, if they see the name again in a Google search, then that name moves to the top of the list. Of course, this assumes a positive experience associated with the name, or least not a negative one.

"Aardvark" probably sounded rather "corny" to you initially, but it's not about that, it's about "branding". The coolest name in the world will not generate a single dime of revenue for your company, unless someone remembers to do business with you. I'm not saying that Aardvark is the solution, but it's more of an example in how to process the name you do land on. Good luck.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I wouldn't worry about the phone book listing. It's not the advantage many think it is with the internet around.

I won't try and give suggestions other than, pick something you can live with a long, long time because changing it is nearly impossible. What is "cute" and "trendy" today says DATED 5 years from now. (Same for your logo.)

Personally I wil never use my name in a business because someday I'll sell the business and I don't want my name associated with it and the new owner won't care for it much either.

I agree to a certain extent. I think it''s more advantageous to be at the top of the list in a bigger city like Cincy. I'm sure there are a "bunch" of masonry businesses out there advertising. Now if you were in a rural setting like myself that has maybe a handful of us advertising snow removal, then location on the list isn't as critical. I'm down in the "T"s. For us rural folk, location of the business is critical. People want to find someone close to their home first, then they may venture further if the local guy doesn't work out.....

Around here, the yellow pages is still pretty much king. Internet? Some people don't know how to spell it... j/k.....

emoney

Commander

A perfect example of what I'm talking about is; Geico. Geico's brand has been stuck into your head because of a Gecko. If someone mentions the name to you, you immediately picture a walking and talking Gecko that speaks with a psuedo-British-Australian-Irish accent. Geico is actually short for "Government Employees Insurance Company" and for years did business exclusively with Gov't employees. Until they decided to branch out and be more "retail oriented". In order to do so, they couldn't change the name as they'd already been in business for several years. What to do? Enter the Gecko, pronounced a little differently and voila!

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm telling you, when it comes to "Branding" we're in my wheel house. Do this as a "test" for whatever name you settle on: Share the name one time only with everyone in your circle of influence. Make sure, of course, you have their attention, and be specific that you're trying out names. Then, wait a week to 10 days and ask each one of them if they remember the business name you came up with. Whatever % of that circle of influence that can recall the name, divide that # in half and that's what your target audience will be able to recall. In other words, if 40% of your friends can recall the name you gave them one time only a week ago, then 20% of the public will be able to recall the name as well. Memory recollection is HUGE to a business as most people are so lazy they'd prefer to not even have to Google for a business, if they can get away with it at least. Even those that do, if they've had the name stuck into their memory banks, regardless of how much exposure they've had, if they see the name again in a Google search, then that name moves to the top of the list. Of course, this assumes a positive experience associated with the name, or least not a negative one.

"Aardvark" probably sounded rather "corny" to you initially, but it's not about that, it's about "branding". The coolest name in the world will not generate a single dime of revenue for your company, unless someone remembers to do business with you. I'm not saying that Aardvark is the solution, but it's more of an example in how to process the name you do land on. Good luck.

Fantastic advice!! I will continue to shorten my list and give that a try.:D

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I agre with EMONEY......there is a drywall business in cincinnati called M&M Drywall... i heard the comercial once on the radio and never have fogotten it.

How about your first letter of you and the wifes name or kids names.

southkogs

Staff member

Rock'N Block ... you can do all the work dressed like Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley for added effect.

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agre with EMONEY......there is a drywall business in cincinnati called M&M Drywall... i heard the comercial once on the radio and never have fogotten it.

How about your first letter of you and the wifes name or kids names.

So T&A it is haha, not to be forgoten plus the logo is a no-brainer :D

emoney

Commander

Rock'N Block ... you can do all the work dressed like Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley for added effect.

OOOhhhh...you can use the "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" in the logo and say, "We'll ROCK your Blocks off!!!"

It's up to you to get the permission from Mattel (or whichever toy company owns that image, lol)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

T&A Masonry...........

Now ask me in a week and see if i remember!

T&A Logo - should be able to be constructive with Bricks :facepalm:

southkogs

Staff member

T&A Masonry...........

Now ask me in a week and see if i remember!

T&A Logo - should be able to be constructive with Bricks :facepalm:
... LOL, I'm not gonna' forget that one either!

"She's a brick ... house!" ... ha, I'm crackin' up :D

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Oh...ya....I guess I should have googled it. I just feel the name Cornerstone is comforting, like the first stone set to build your home.

How about "Cornerstone Brick & Tile". My great great great uncle was a founding member of a brick yard in England that used the "Brick & Tile" name. http://www.bridgwatersomerset.info/history_7_the_brick_and_tile_trade.php