2008 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Impeller

spxxc21

Recruit
I was wondering where I could find the impeller? If I am looking into the engine compartment where should I be looking? Some dealers have told me it is on the starboard side of the boat on the motor. All I see is a huge box that I was told was a fuel pump module. This is my first boat so any help or tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2008 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Impeller

Depends on what drive you have and if it's fresh water cooled or not. Do you have a serial number handy?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I was wondering where I could find the impeller? If I am looking into the engine compartment where should I be looking? Some dealers have told me it is on the starboard side of the boat on the motor. All I see is a huge box that I was told was a fuel pump module. This is my first boat so any help or tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Car Dealer? Drug Dealer? Blackjack dealer? Surely not a boat dealer!!!:p The "right" dealer (and/ or his shop mech) would have done "show and tell"

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats . . .

As Don indicated . . . it depends on what outdrive you have. The 'Alpha' drives have the impeller inside the outdrive. The Bravo outdrives have a separate pump running off the engine, called a sea water pump.

I suspect the you have an Alpha drive, since you cannot find a sea water pump.

spxxc21

Recruit

Depends on what drive you have and if it's fresh water cooled or not. Do you have a serial number handy?

It is a bravo three drive. The serial number is 1A063892. And how hard of a job is this too do. My boat dealer wants to do it ranging from $250-$300. Thank you again for your help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most of that cost is probably getting to the pump. Then there is the fact that that is one of the hardest pumps to get on and off the engine even out in the open, even worse if you have the air actuated drain system on your engine.
Had a 21 Bayliner a few years ago that the engine had to come out to get to the pump. Boat was built with no access. Even had to cut part of the opening to get the engine out.

The pump is on the starboard side down low behind the fuel filter.

Here is a picture of the pump (in blue)

seapump.jpg

scoflaw

Ensign

That's a reasonable price. The rub is, the pump cover will be scored when he gets it apart. Don't let him talk you into a new pump
Have the cover resurfaced at your local machine shop, or metalartetc.com makes a wear plate # ssmwp-001 for it

spxxc21

Recruit

That's a reasonable price. The rub is, the pump cover will be scored when he gets it apart. Don't let him talk you into a new pump
Have the cover resurfaced at your local machine shop, or metalartetc.com makes a wear plate # ssmwp-001 for it

Thank you for the help. I will try and locate the impeller today after work. When I look to the left I see the fuel module there. I hope it isnt the way. Hopefully this is something I can do myself and not have to take it to the dealer every other year. Thank you for all of your help. Any tips to make this enjoyable in some way lol.