1996 suzuki 75 hp

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just went and looked at a 1996 Suzuki that was clean as a whistle, direct injection, mostly everything checked out. My concerns are the motor took about 30 secs to start peeing and when it started peeing it still wasn't all that strong. I know its an easy fix. Also when started it didn't smoke hardly at all. My tohatsu smokes decent with 50:1 mix. So how can I tell if the direct injection is working with out gambling the motor. Also compression was between 96-108 cold. And engine has set for a couple months. Is this motor worth picking up for 5-6 hundred bucks.?How can I tell if the direct injection is working properly. And are these comp numbers decent? Comes with all controls and tilt and trim

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1996 suzuki 75 hp

Without it being on a boat and taking it down the river for a sea trial, it's hard to say....it may be fine or a bag of problems?...do you feel lucky?...;)

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1996 suzuki 75 hp

I feel pretty lucky, but if its got decent compression, good spark, idles fine, and goes into gear like butter. anything else would be minor repair wouldnt it? obviously every engine has a timer, but if i could get a decent 8 months out of it for 500 bucks id be happy. is there anything else i should check before purchasing it?