mariner 60 hp help

stoksey25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi I am replacing the water pump on my Mariner 60 as all the blades hame come off . Not sure why. But I ordered a kit and cant seem to see where all the seals go I have taken the housing off and been careful to keep everything in order so I know how to put it back together . But how does the bottom part of the case come off As there is not one in the kit and I dont want to break it . Would you recommend replacing this as well as it does look a bit worn . Many thanks Neil

Bits I have in order IMAG0045.jpg

Bits I dont know where to put IMAG0046.jpg

Bottom of housing

(Should this pull off)IMAG0047.jpgIMAG0046.jpg

displaced47

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mariner 60 hp help

Hi there,

I think the kit comes with extra parts to make it applicable to more models... as for your other questions... you need someone with more knowledge than I!! Good luck!

stoksey25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks any one else taken one of these apart

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Hi there,

I think the kit comes with extra parts to make it applicable to more models...

This is right. The kit you bought probably covers various models from early 70's to late 80's.

How long since the impeller was last changed? Should be done about yearly, maybe more if heavily used. Also, did you ever crank the motor without it being on muffs or the LU submerged? Even a fraction of a second of dry running can shred an impeller.

As long as the plastic housing down in the LU does not have any big nicks or gouges in the sealing/mating surfaces or any obvious cracks, I'd leave it alone.

emoney

Commander

It should just slip up over the drive shaft just like your cover and your impeller did. Old grease/oil/mix can get quite "gummy" when left to it's own devices and that could be holding it down. Clean that gunk out and see if it will slide up then.

I'm a +3 on the "several model coverage" on why you have the extra gaskets. It's cheaper on the manufacturer to make a one-size-fits-all. I had the same concern the very first time I changed one and old Chrysler I had. I was convinced for 3 days I had missed something, lol. Of course, I didn't have the luxury of an "iboats" nor had Al Gore invented the Internet back then.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If you try to remove the bottom half of the plastic pump housing from an old Merc LU, you better be prepared to replace it, because you will break it.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Did you also find all the fins, that broke off the impellar? Need to Find them All.

stoksey25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi and thanks for the replies. as you can see the impeller had basically turned to dust so Do I need to flush the head out to make sure there is no bits up there. Regards Neil

stoksey25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And another question when the impeller goes in which way do you bend the fins

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

And another question when the impeller goes in which way do you bend the fins

I know this one (since I screwed it up once before) :) Turn the drive shaft clockwise as you push the pump housing down over the impeller (with a little lube on the impeller and housing) and it will "screw" right in with the fins in the correct direction.

This of course is assuming the operational rotation of the drive shaft is clockwise.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I know this one (since I screwed it up once before) :) Turn the drive shaft clockwise as you push the pump housing down over the impeller (with a little lube on the impeller and housing) and it will "screw" right in with the fins in the correct direction.

This of course is assuming the operational rotation of the drive shaft is clockwise.

And that's clockwise as you are looking down over the top of the driveshaft.

Your impeller bits have come to rest inside the rear water jacket, at the bottom, under the bottom cylinder. The only way to get them out is to remove the rear cover. If your pee-hole pees, you're gonna be fine.

stoksey25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok clockwise it is many thanks again . I will back flush the head before assembly .
Regards Neil