Finish question

ges58

Recruit
I have an 86 Bass Tracker that I did some work on (winter project). The top part of the boat is black with gray metal flake. I cleaned it up real good and sprayed it with automotive clear coat. After 6 months it started to dull and then peal off. Any suggestions how to strip it off and what to put back on?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Finish question

There are marine chemical strippers. These are easier on the gel coat, but I recommend caution, as they will still eat it. You will likely end up wet sanding the hull to get the last of the paint off. Use a 400grit wet paper to get to final smoothness.

Do you know that the metal flake is paint? I think some boats had that kind of gel coat, but am not really sure.

When you do go to repaint, remember dark colors show more imperfectations. If you have imperfectations, go light in color. Use a marine urethane paint, if you want the most durable finish. Roll and tip painting works pretty good on the hull. The sprayed finish is a bit better, however. I ended up spraying the deck and dash, and using the roll and tip for below the molding that covers the hull seam.

shrew

Lieutenant

Any suggestions..........what to put back on?

Not anything that is made for automotive use. You've applied a product for painted metal onto what I assume is gelcoat. The first question to ask is, what is the portion of the boat in question made of?

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any good quality automotive or marine paint should work. Your problem was most likely with the surface preparation, not the paint used. How exactly did you prep the surface?