Ski Pylon question

64osby

Admiral
I picked up a ski pylon at an auction the other day.

IMG-20120925-00420.jpg

I am looking at mounting it on my Starcraft Mariner. I'll have some questions when mounting probably.

Right now one question is what is all this mounted to it. 2 coil springs in plastic tubes tied to a brass ring and clipped to a blue wood piece laying over the top. Anyone have any ideas?
IMG-20120925-00421.jpg

Anyone have an idea on who might have made it? it's 48" tall

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ski Pylon question

The bigger piece bolts to the floor and the other 2 clip over a piece (Looks like a miniature hitch ball) on either side of the outboard. I hope that explains it some. Others will be on soon with a better explanation.

Craig

64osby

Admiral

Craig you must not have read what question I asked,
but thanks for reminding me how to mount it.

haulnazz15

Captain

The springs look like some sort of jury-rigged contraption for combating a slack hit. Sort of like a shock tube, I would be surprised if it were factory. Remember not to tow tubes off of that thing.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would remove the blue donut, 1/4" nylon rope, turn buckle, springs and vinyl tubing.
None of that is part of the original design.

Swivel-eze is a common brand for these. Over the years the actual tow point has changed from a ring to something that will rotate with a nylon bushing, but the rest has stayed pretty much the same.

On that particular design there is not much of a flange below the actual tow point. It may have been that the prev. owner had problems with the line dropping down and fouling in the side braces - the blue donut added to keep it from dropping. My best guess.

64osby

Admiral

sb - Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking, but you never know.

Now it's time to see if the bottom plate will come off.

G & Me

Recruit
I have a zizzer ski pylon tow for 1998 bayliner capri I need replacement pole any know where I can find one