2007 tahoe grand elite 29ft tritoon boat

rooon

Recruit
www.autotrader.ca/a/Tahoe Pontoons/Grand Elite/RICHMOND/British Columbia/19_5915005_/?ms=boats

seems like a very good deal, just worried about the length, i have been thinking about a 22 or 24' tritoon

would 29' be harder to handle?

any comments

first post, but i been reading this forum for a while and have found that the advice here rings true

thanks

Ron

rooon

Recruit
Re: 2007 tahoe grand elite 29ft tritoon boat

went back to auto trader and now it is gone...............

must have been a good buy

i will have to keep looking

still curious about length vs handling on larger pontoons..

i spent a couple of weekends with friends on their 18' and another's 22', loved the feel on a pontoon

we will be buying one,

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The difference between a 29 footer and even a 24 footer is lot more than what 5 feet might suggest. That pontoon will be a lot slower, harder to tow, and will require a big slip. IMO, a 24 footer is about as large you will want to go if you plan on towing with any regularity. Don; tget me wrong, big toons can be great, but just be sure to consider the downsides.

calocajd

Recruit

We started out with a 24' Suntracker 90 hp 2stroke Mercury. Moved up to an Avalon Ambassador 27' 250 Mercury Verado tritoon. Love that boat! Believe it or not, the three feet makes a world of difference. We take her out in the Gulf of Mexico every weekend (weather permitting) and she handles great! Avalon/Tahoe make a great pontoon and customer service is great. Would not buy a different pontoon. Just my two cents.:)

calocajd

Recruit

P.S. We reach about 35-40 mph at WOT depending on number of folks on board.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If the boat is slipped the bigger one would be fine but I certainly wouldn't want to tow one regularly.

We had a 28' company boat on a local lake and it was slipped in a channel that was maybe 50' wide, it was a bit tricky getting it spun around to dock it, never tried it in wind, but not really bad and once on the water you really couldn't tell any difference between that boat and a 25'er.

rooon

Recruit

thanks for the info, we will be keeping the boat on the river, rarely intend to trailer it

we are looking for smooth ride, weekends see lots of wakes, and i have been watching the deck boats and open bows being slammed around, the few pontoons we see seem to ride much smoother

my dear wife gets motion sickness and is not comfortable being bounced around

are longer pontoons that much harder on fuel?

i have been looking at 150 hp as i really don't need to go 40 mph, but would like to be on plane at 25 mph or so

another question if i may, how well do these outboards handle a couple hours of putting along?

we had a 135 evinrude on a 16' baja bowrider 10 yrs ago, it would run all day at 30-35 mph, but wouldn't idle for any length of time.

thanks for all the help

ron & agi

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Toons a certainly smooth, with the pointed nose cone they go through rather than over waves like a mono hull boat.

I really don't think you will notice much difference in fuel between a 25 and a 28, the extra 3' of hull will add some drag and steal some speed but not that much.

Looking used you will probably end up with a 24-25 anyhow, 27- 28'ers are fairly rare and a 150 on that would be perfect.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

When I got my original 24' pontoon 26 years ago, we'd see pontoon boats @ 20', 24' and 28' lengths. Now, they're in various lengths--18', 20', 22-23',24' and 25'. There are a few longer boats, however they're few and far between.

Boats are now often 8' 6" long, and fencing is going all the way to the front of the toons--thus making new model boats more roomy than the older boats.

The larger boats are heavier and just a little too difficult to handle while docking. Trying to get one of the bigger toons into a dock on a windy day without help is a handful. Also, the ability to carry so many people on an extra long pontoon boat would seldom come into play for most users. And, they require a much larger engine, so fuel usage is much higher.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info, we will be keeping the boat on the river, rarely intend to trailer it

i have been looking at 150 hp as i really don't need to go 40 mph, but would like to be on plane at 25 mph or so

another question if i may, how well do these outboards handle a couple hours of putting along?

ron & agi

Get a 4 cycle outboard, they will run at low rpm for extended cruising without problems.

Glenn

rooon

Recruit

thanks guys, smooth ride is highest priority for us..

i have been looking on iboats and boatrader, any other sites i should be checking?

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

roon,
If you want a smooth ride then you want a tritoon. I bought my tritoon off Craigslist. It was a project boat but I love it.
Larry