Water in the Engine

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water in the Engine

I am not very mechanical inclined. Can you explain how water can pass into the engine via the manifold (intake manifold I assume) on a I/O? Would it be coming in from the water cooling system or maybe the exhaust?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Exhasut manifold. Rusted out between exhaust and water passages. Bad gasket maybe.

KaGee

Admiral

Have the mechanic clarify... specifically what does he mean by water in the engine?

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am assuming water can be in multiple places within the engine?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Cylinders or oil is where you do not want it ;) ....JK

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Diseling" can make the engine run backwards for a short moment or two and suck water into the engine from the exhaust.<br /><br />This happened to me - I shut down a 3.0L Mercruiser too quickly after WOT, and it started dieseling. Sucked water in and I had water in the cylinders. No damage, luckily, just cost me a lot of labor to tear the engine apart and make sure everything was OK.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Think he said in the Oil, I need to get it clarified when I pick it up after they test it.<br /><br />I don't think it actually came in from the exhaust itself, because the two times it's happened, it did it at about 800 rpm's when I was just putting along at 5 mph, unless it takes awhile for the symptoms to show themself.

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Water can get into the engine many ways.Exhaust manifolds,intake Manifold, crack in block. Sure sounds like you could be experiencing any one of the three. <br />Usually if the exhaust manifold is leaking it will leak water back into the exhaust ports of the engine.I would speculate that if the exhaust manifolds were to blame, your engine would not have run good at the start and you would have had a miss from the beginning. Did the engine overheat in transit? Volvo manifold gaskets get burnt out fairly easily once they overheat.They should probably check the impeller. <br /><br />If the intake was leaking you would notice a miss from water entering the intake tract and being burned. The intake could also leak water into the oil just like a cracked block.The oil will froth up into a milky white gelatin and then fill the block up until it finally stalls the motor because the cylinders are full.<br /><br />So If I were you I would go and see the motor.Check the oil.If it's a slight bit milky,I would lean toward exhaust manifold.If it's creamy frothy milky lean toward crack.<br /><br />The bad thing is that in any case the engine should be torn down and rebuilt due to the fact that it has saltwater in the oil.<br /><br />Sorry for the long post. Just thinking out loud.<br />Hope this helps.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Appreciate the replies, at least now I can sound a little smarter when I talk to them about this.<br /><br />As for the Temp, it stayed around 175 the entire time it was running.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it back today, took it to a local lake and ran it for 2 hours. No water but as I was checking everything out, I noticed a small hole in the Valve Cover, appears to be rusted. <br /><br />So brought it back again so he could put on new covers.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the mechanic called today and found the exhaust flappers were stuck open so he fixed that. He also replaced the Valve Covers.<br /><br />So third time is a charm :) <br /><br />Thanks for all the replies so far.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Engine died again over the 4th of July weekend. I brought the boat back again to the Dealer and I will be test driving a different boat today.

blouderback said:
"Diseling" can make the engine run backwards for a short moment or two and suck water into the engine from the exhaust.<br /><br />This happened to me - I shut down a 3.0L Mercruiser too quickly after WOT, and it started dieseling. Sucked water in and I had water in the cylinders. No damage, luckily, just cost me a lot of labor to tear the engine apart and make sure everything was OK.

I was at the lake and have not had any problems what so ever with my Boat. I bought this new in 1998 its a horizon four winns and I have took great care of it but the other day when I was at the lake I turned it off and it kept running for a few and when I was ready to start it back up to take off it sounded like the starter it hard and would not turn it over. I tried it again and all it done was just started signing without going into the starter, I took the starter off and had to have it rebuilt. They said that it had some broken parts and they were worried that I had something else wrong. Do you think that with it kept running it could have sucked water into a cylinder and stopped it from turning over. I turned that motor over by hand when I got home before taking the starter off and it turned good except when I got to one spot and it kinda turned kinda hard but aftre I got passed that spot it tuened ok . I just dont want to put the starter back on and hit this spot and rip it apart again. Do you think taking all the plugs out andturning it over by hand will tell me if anything got into it when it kept running after I turned it off and also what makes they kept running like that. Sorry this was long but I was trying to tell everything thing that happened that day so maybe I could get some help from you good folks. nightflyer1955@aol.com