80's Mercrusier 305, no start, searched and searched,need help!

Mrw530

Recruit
Hey Guys,

New to the forum and I gotta say there is a wealth of info on this board.

Well, I've searched and searched and I'm heading in the right direction and can't figure my issue out.

The boat is a 1979 Grady White with a 305 Mercrusier and omc outdrive. New batteries, batt cables are clean and newer, power to solnoids and starter, gauges work, bildge pump work, etc. When I hit the key all I get is a click from the slave solnoid. When I jump the starter solnoid the engine will crank.

Also, the power trim on the outdrive doesn't work. Then I hit the switch to lower and raise the outdrive all I get is a click from the solnoids. Related to the starting issue??

Any help or direction would be great. I'm pointing toward a new starter solnoid. Thank you!

Mrw530

Recruit
Re: 80's Mercrusier 305, no start, searched and searched,need help!

That is exactly why we have a "Start new thread" button.

Have a look at this threa http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035 it should lead you right to the problem.

Thanks, Don. Already went there and prompted through the steps. All signs lead to starter solnoid however I'm wondering in the outdrive trim not working and no start are related. Possible neutral safety switch?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am guessing you are using improper testing methods. If the slave solenoid click, the neutral safety switch is working, if the starter works when jumped, then the starter solenoid and starter work. You need to be concentrating on the slave solenoid and power to it and from it.

Mrw530

Recruit

I am guessing you are using improper testing methods. If the slave solenoid click, the neutral safety switch is working, if the starter works when jumped, then the starter solenoid and starter work. You need to be concentrating on the slave solenoid and power to it and from it.

Thanks.

After re-reading, it seems that I didn't do the slave cylinder test correct. I'll go through the prompts again tomorrow and see if I can find further evidence.

Any ideas on the outdrive trim not working? As I mentioned, clicking then I hit the trim up and nothing happens. Bad ground? Engine have to be running? New to boats.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.