where to start ?

MURPHY1964

Recruit
new to the forum, first post. I have a 95 stratos f&s with a 96 evinrude 150 intruder that I purchased new in 96 but haven't had it out in about 2 yrs.
we were planning on going to the lake over the 4th of july and since the gas was old wanted to check it before we went.
I always put stabil in when I put gas in and run the carbs dry before parking it. I pumped some of the gas out of it and it smelled fine and looked fine compared to fresh gas, so I hooked the fuel line back up and cranked her over and it started like I had just shut it off. we had to postpone our trip until labor day weekend. i added 10 gals of fresh gas to the approx 15 gals of old gas & headed out. got to the lake and it would barely start. then cough, sputter and die. sometimes it would start at idle speed & other times I would have to throttle it up to get it to start. it might run for 30-45 seconds at 1/2 throttle but would die if you tried to throttle up or down. put new plugs in it, & the primer bulb is staying pumped up. I did notice that what I believe wht is called the cam follower roller had disentegrated into pieces and fell off. other than that i couldn't see anything visibly wrong. I figured this was probably due to the old gas, but when i got home i disconnected the fuel line from the tank & stuck in a 5gal gas can of fresh gas and it ran the same way. i'm fairly mechanically inclined and have messed with cars and motrocycles for years, but I'm a little imtimidated by the 6 carb set up. This is the first time we've ever had any problems with it. always starts easy and runs like a top. could this still be an old gas problem ? I'm looking for ideas on where to proceed from here. I don't really want to take it to a shop as I feel it's probably not anything major that is the cause. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jeff