1953 johnson seahorse 3 hp re build

dogseat2

Cadet
I just picked this little motor up and want to get it running in tip top shape.
I know this, its a JW10 and it runs pumps water good and seems to run very rich?
I would like to find parts and part numbers to fix it up. Any help would be great.

First order of business is: Fuel petcock on side of motor leaks very bad, took apart and no packing in there?
Any ideas on what to repack with and where to get, cant leave gas on or it will drain the tank.

Second item will be to put a carb kit in it and see if I can make it run better and get rid of smoking and bog down problems the little control knob for this doesnt make to much difference if you move this.

I hope to do the work myself if you dont think its over a guys head? I was told they are simple motors.

Thanks for your help and cant wait to see your replies.

Scott
sometimetoburn1@yahoo.com

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1953 johnson seahorse 3 hp re build

Well, this is a parts list for a JW-11 (1955) but they're almost identical motors

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/376399/37639900001.htm

What you need to fix, is pretty simple and you should easily be able to handle it. Carb kit should be obtainable here at iBoats. As far as packing for the fuel petcock goes, some people have wraped a piece of string one time inside there and tightened it back up. I never tried this myself, so I wouldn't know how well it works, but some claim it works good.