1990 force 35 hp prop seal removal

chellickson

Recruit
I have a 1990 Force 35 hp motor. Motor runs great and have no issues until now. Couple of weeks ago, I got some fishing line wrapped up on the prop shaft and now I have a torn prop seal and leaking oil. I have the new prop seal. How can I pull the bearing cage off to replace the prop seal. I have pulled the two hex screws out. Can I use a flywheel puller with some long bolts, etc? Any advice would be appreciated, no one around here is willing to service this motor and will need to do it myself.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 force 35 hp prop seal removal

Flywheel puller,gear puller.Long bolts,yes.
Post a pic of the carrier,I think it has 2 1/4-20 screw holes??
2 pieces of all thread is all you need.

When removing the seal from the carrier;be VERY careful not to score the sealing surfaces.
Very hard to fix if you cut into them.

Actually an easy fix.

Post pics so others can see what your doing?

Profile,location?
You might be close to someone who can help.J

chellickson

Recruit

Thank you so much. I included a pic as well. This was the info I was looking for as far as flywheel puller etc. Just need to get the bearing cage pulled off so I can replace the seal. See pic. I live in Colorado Springs and cant find anyone willing to tackle this, so I will have to do it myself.Picture.jpg

chellickson

Recruit

I got the bearing cage removed. How do I remove the bearing in order to install the new seal? It looks like I have to get the bearing out of the case so I can remove all of old seal and install new seal. Pictures attached of bearing cage front and back pics.
Picture 002.jpgPicture 001.jpg

JEFF MURRAY

Cadet

according to my 88 35hp service manual, it says once the cage is off, set the assembly on top of a vise (so bottom side of bearing is clear) use a brass punch and hammer and carefully tap the bearing out