Power pilot?

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All
I have a 1981 (I guess) 35hp Evenrude, The controls are Evenrude power pilot, the shift / throttle control lever acts funny, let me describe.

The lock button works fine, you shift into forward & it shifts but I don't get any throttle until the lever is all most all the way forward, coming off of full throttle it won't drop RPM until almost half way back to neutral & then it drops all of a sudden. In reverse it shifts fine but won't come off of low idle at all (I'm guessing this is correct, going fast in reverse would only swamp the boat.)
I plan on tearing into it in the next couple days, and I hope it will just be a matter of some cleaning & lube, any idea what I'll find.
Thanks!
Steve

Note: This is to replace my Johnsonrude controls thread, The tittle was terrible! BAD Winddog!

I fiddled with it a bit last night, what does the screw located on the front of the control (towards bow) in the upper left hand corner adjust?
Also can I put it in gear with only muffs?

Thanks

emoney

Commander
Re: Power pilot?

Here's a look at "what you find inside"
powerpilot.jpg

There's adjustments in there, but start with some WD40 to get things loosened up.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a look at "what you find inside"
powerpilot.jpg

There's adjustments in there, but start with some WD40 to get things loosened up.

That's the one! Minus the electrical, it must have gone bad at some point, all the wireing has been cut.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I pulled the bottom cover & disconnected the cables. While there is a small amount of slop in the mechanism it operates smoothly, the throttle cable however seems to have a sticky spot. I pulled the cables out of the sheath a little bit & WD'd both ends, then it was time for bed, uh I mean let it soak.
The screw I asked about is the warm up idle adjustment. Here's a parts pic.

Attachments

• POWER PILOT.jpg
    POWER PILOT.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: