Foremost

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all.
I was given an outboard motor this evening, when I asked "how come " I was told "it wont run" Naturally,I took that as a challenge .Only problem is it's one I haven't come across before.It's a 3 1/2HP "foremost" apparently marketed by JC Penney at some time.I'll examine it tomorrow and see if i can find a model #,in the mean time does anyone have any info on them.
Cheers.geoffwga1.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Foremost

Well,I've stripped it down, cleaned and rebuilt the carburettor,checked the compression(good),cleaned and gapped points etc but I can't get a spark of any kind.Coil looks OK but that doesn't mean anything I know.It seems that the mag plate and the coil are one piece,or if they aren't I can't figure out how to separate them.Does anyone have any experience of these little oddities,it would be a shame to have to abandon it as the rest of it is in such good shape,
Geoffwga1.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As you may know the motor is air cooled with a water cooled leg.Some West Bend parts may work,specifications are probably the same.Fuel mix is 16:1.Has a Tillotson MD124A carb.
Be sure the points close all the way unhook the condenser and check points with a meter. Be sure the key and keyway aren't sheared or damaged. Check the magnets in the flywheel.Be sure the plug wire is good,no corrosion.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Steelspike for your input.I have got it running now,runs like a little watch.My problem now is I can't stop the darned thing leaking fuel around the float bowl filter.The sealing washer was all shot and so far I've not been able to find one to fit.Guess I'll have to do some more searching and find out if Tillotson are still going or if I can get anything from Discount Marine.The main problem I had was getting the crud cleaned out of the integral tank,about a half cup of rust so far.
Regards geoffwga1.