moving a battery switch

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have dual batteries and a switch for them. Problem is that the switch is under the engine cover which is a pain in the #$% to get at when I've got a lot of people on board. I intend to move it to a near by location above the cover. At least one of the large red cables is not long enough. I know its probably not preferable but is there anyway to splice extra length onto cables like that? Maybe some sort of kit that inlcudes a hardware connector and shrink wrap type installation to go over it? Is there anything else I should be wary of when moving a switch?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: moving a battery switch

I would recommend replacing the short cable with a longer one, every connection is an opportunity for corrosion, resistance build up and voltage drop which just adds up to potential grief down the road.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

Definitely spring for a longer cable. The peace of mind that comes with knowing you did it right should offset the cost.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't splice them, get a new cable. Don't forget, the longer the cable the larger the cable so you don't have too much resistance in the system.<br /><br />
Batt%20cable%201.png
<br />
Batt%20cable%202.png