Replacing 4.3 omc v6 with v8?

joey2381

Cadet
Hi I have a 17 foot 1987 sea raider with a 4.3 omc v6. the engine has some problems and will be maybe 2000 dollars to be fully repaired. I was wondering about a few things: how would I find out what the maximum size engine that would fit on the mounts?( like a 305 or 350), and how much would it cost overall to buy a crate engine(doesnt have to be brand new, can be rebuilt as long as it runs and is dependable) and have it installed in my boat? and if anyone knows any places that sells engines at a decent price? thank you and happy boating

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing 4.3 omc v6 with v8?

A V6 is the only thing that will set on the V6 mounts. The V8's are further forward. You would also need a different gear ratio in the drive, and a complete engine.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi I have a 17 foot 1987 sea raider with a 4.3 omc v6. the engine has some problems and will be maybe 2000 dollars to be fully repaired. I was wondering about a few things: how would I find out what the maximum size engine that would fit on the mounts?( like a 305 or 350), and how much would it cost overall to buy a crate engine(doesnt have to be brand new, can be rebuilt as long as it runs and is dependable) and have it installed in my boat? and if anyone knows any places that sells engines at a decent price? thank you and happy boating

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I'd think 10, 12 Grand oughta get it done,...

Provided ya go Used parts...

hayward6

Seaman Apprentice

Just weighing in, and can't really say it any better than these sages ;) but it's really not worth it. Nothing matches up, and you have a complete strip down on your hands, heck even the exhaust risers will obviously be different and those are expensive enough alone. Even if you spend the time and money and do it, you will always have these weird differences... And a 17' boat goes along real nice with a 4.3l pushing it.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Why would you replace V6 with larger motor V8. Your original problem was engine repairs to costly? So upgrading to a larger motor didn't make sense. Why not just keep V6 setup and look for a used working one. Unless you feel your boat is under powered which I highly doubt since its 17foot running a V6.

What is wrong with original V6?

Keep in mind mine is a 16 foot running 3.0 4cyl and when I had it running there was enough power. More power needed then get yourself larger boat. Pros said it V8 different mounting configuration. Good Luck.