Smart Tabs

jeridmar6

Cadet
I sent an email to Nauticus and was told by a tech that the 60 lb smart tab fot the Tahoe Q4 is too strong. Here is his response. "Just from experience I'm telling you this. People who use the 80s and 60s
always tend to be too strong.
Greg
Nauticus Inc Technician"

What are your thoughts? I have read that the 60 is best and the Nauticus charts say 60 for a 19 ft I/O. This should not be confusing BUT.!!!!!

Tim in TN

Seaman
Re: Smart Tabs

I suggest you listen to them. As they suggested, I ended up getting a lighter weight than the chart showed for my Q6 and they work great. One of the few things I've bought that actually worked as advertised.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen tons of people post and say they got 60's but had to replace them with the 40's....

read up on the forums i think you will see some of those threads.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They said use the 80's for my 21' but I read up and bought the 60's and am very happy with them so I would go with 40's for a smaller boat.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

I have the Q7 and the 80's (by the charts) are too strong. I use the 60's. I would do as all the others say (as well as Greg) and use the 40's.

whitey224

Seaman

I think it depends on the placement. I have a Q7i with 80# tabs mounted in by the outdrive. They work great. I think the ones that are mounted out wide seem to need to be less then the chart shows. I dont know what the back of the Q4 looks like but the placement makes a difference. I would go with whatever they tell you. If you need different ones the guys from Nauticus are very easy to work with You can tell that they want it to work on your boat and they are willing to help. Just put them on!!!

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

You will not be disappointed with the tabs...they work excellent and really change how the boat turns and stops the v-hull wander at slow speeds. I added the PR-500 brackets to mine so I could lift them up and do some wake boarding (which is less these days...I personally haven't been able to get up on the board as of yet...lol) Driving the boat with them up and then putting them down really shows you just how much they really do work. (mine are set in the middle hole for right now)

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks whitey224. I am sure you are right about placement, but I am unsure why it would make a difference. It is my guess that the tabs might be at a different angle when compared to the surface of the water. When they are out wide like mine, they are not parallel to the surface. In by to outdrive like yours would make them closer to parallel. Yours would also remain submerged, where mine are at the surface. I certainly was not a physics major and dont claim to understand the mechanics of this, but is kinda makes since to me. But as you stated, the folks at Nauticus are beyond excellent to work with!!

I think it depends on the placement. I have a Q7i with 80# tabs mounted in by the outdrive. They work great. I think the ones that are mounted out wide seem to need to be less then the chart shows. I dont know what the back of the Q4 looks like but the placement makes a difference. I would go with whatever they tell you. If you need different ones the guys from Nauticus are very easy to work with You can tell that they want it to work on your boat and they are willing to help. Just put them on!!!

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks whitey224. I am sure you are right about placement, but I am unsure why it would make a difference. It is my guess that the tabs might be at a different angle when compared to the surface of the water. When they are out wide like mine, they are not parallel to the surface. In by to outdrive like yours would make them closer to parallel. Yours would also remain submerged, where mine are at the surface. I certainly was not a physics major and dont claim to understand the mechanics of this, but is kinda makes since to me. But as you stated, the folks at Nauticus are beyond excellent to work with!!

I believe the difference will be felt in turning stability between the two locations. With the tabs mounted by the outdrive you will still get the lift...but i my opinion you will not get quite the same turning stability.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all. I have a 2007 q7i s/f and really don't know alot about swim tabs. I've been following all of the talk here and decided it's something I need to do. My question is, what chart all you all talking about, Is there a certain brand that people like better, any tips on installation(wider on the transom vs. narrower). I'm not worried about installing them I have just never seen them in person or seen how they perform.

Try looking here...these are the popular ones and also the ones I have on my boat.

Smart Tabs SX Trim Tabs

You can also call them and talk to them...they are very helpful and will answer all your questions and concerns.

chriscraft254

Commander

Just curious, why did you have to mount them in by your outdrive?

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Just curious, why did you have to mount them in by your outdrive?

On the Q7i there is a beveled edge to contend with which limits where you can install the tabs and also has a contour that cuts in towards the transom. I chose to install mine just to the side of that bevel. When I installed mine I took the advice of another forum member and made a jig to hold to the bottom of the boat to get that 25 degree angle correct when finding the area to drill for the top of the strut. Without making this jig with a cutout at 25 degrees the angle of the tab would be too great thus essentially "plowing" through the water.

I believe he installed his close to the outdrive because that is a flat area that allows the tabs to be mounted per the instructions. (Flat area to let them hang at 25 degrees for marking the top drill holes)

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

As all have said, make sure you have them at 25 degrees relative to the bottom of the boat. I made a jig (learned my mistake)!! I have mine out wide and they are great. Added about 3-4 MPH and handles like a dream!

whitey224

Seaman

I have my tabs mounted in by the outdrive. I have no problems to speak of with them. I can't say if it is better with them where i have them because i have never been a boat with them mounted wide. I mounted them in by the outdrive because I did not like the curve they would be mounted on out wide. As long as they are mounted correctly on the boat I think they are awesome, It will be like a brand new boat!!

whitey224

Seaman

Before I put mine on I used masking tape to hold them in place in both locations. Try moving them around a bit to see what looks the best. Good luck!

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

Also be sure you use masking tape behind the mounting brackets. It allows you to mark the location easily and helps prevent any cracking of the fiberglass.

chriscraft254

Commander

Smart tabs should be mounted as wide as you can get them. About 6 inches in from each side on the stern. Nauticus, (for those of you with weird sterns/ angles to deal with) will be able to point you in the right direction on location and proper mounting. Email them a pic of the stern and they will get back to you.

Mine came with a angle gauge printed on a piece of paper (stainless tabs). I simply made a cardboard jig to match the printed gauge as a guide to get the proper degree. No need for masking tape, drill small pilot holes first, then drill the size for screws and you should be good to go. Fill holes with 5200 before attaching screws.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

They said use the 80's for my 21' but I read up and bought the 60's and am very happy with them so I would go with 40's for a smaller boat.

I second the quote....same boat. Chart called for the 80's but talked with Nauticus and they recommended the 60's. Mine are mounted aprx 5 inches in from outside of hull. Due to the hull's shape they are toed out a bit looking fwd but the improvement having these are like day and night! Say good-bye to no wake speed wander. The instructions stated to mount tabs hanging freely...which would give the proper angle.

A side note: Just recently been hearing that switching to a 4 blade prop significantly reduces the no wake wandering?!? Might save ya from drilling holes in your boat if you haven't already. For me....its too late! LOL, but still am going to a 4 blade hopefully to improve mid range/cruising speed. Good Luck!

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

I mounted my smart tabs about 6 inches from the outside edge. My Q7i is a 2006 so the back contour might be a bit different. But they are fantastic.

A side note: Just recently been hearing that switching to a 4 blade prop significantly reduces the no wake wandering?!? Might save ya from drilling holes in your boat if you haven't already. For me....its too late! LOL, but still am going to a 4 blade hopefully to improve mid range/cruising speed. Good Luck!

Which prop are you looking at? I've been prop shopping and love to hear others opinions and thoughts.