Johnson Control Box adapter?

hooterville

Seaman
Is there some kind of adapter that would let a person put a different year motor on there Boat?

I have been thinking of swapping out my motors on my boats and put my 1990 48hp Johnson on my pontoon. The pontoon currently has a BRP helm type shifter on the console the motor it controls is a 2005 Johnson 50 HP motor.

I have heard the motors are different electrically and there is some kind of wiring harness or adapter that lets you use a older motor on a new style control box.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson Control Box adapter?

YES!, You will need what is called a Post 96 control to Pre 96 motor harness adapter.

I have seen them on ebay often... they offer them both ways just so you know....

they can be pricey...new, they are about $275.... I see them from $275 to $75.

I have one on my boat now...although mine is about 10 feet longer than it needs to be so it gets coiled up under the floor!

here is one i found quick just now...although it says SIDE CONTROL....I find it hard to believe it wont also work on a helm mount

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-OMC...868123&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

bob

hooterville

Seaman
Re: Johnson Control Box adapter?

Thanks Bob!

That is pricey. Hopefully I could run across something cheaper.

I am undecided what I am going to do yet since I messed up the lower unit gearing on my 2005 50hp engine and am weighting my options weather to fix it,or buy a rebuilt one .A remanufactured unit off the net will run $1500 to $1800 and new one comes in at $2500-3000 .I know about how much the parts are gonna cost depending on whats still good or bad. Parts could range from $450-650-850. More and likely the $650 to $850 range.
I don't want to tackle fixing it since i don't have the proper tools to pull a few of the bearings inside of the Lower unit housing that is back inside the unit.
i could cut my losses and go with newer engine or swap engines off my other boat and sell boat and trailer since i am planning on it anyway.

But I'd love to have a new E-tec........LOL