1955 elgin 5,7.5,12 HP

mike1962

Cadet
I just bought a 1955 elgin and have some questions any one familiar with the motor and want to chat mike

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1955 elgin 5,7.5,12 HP

You should tell about the problems and maybe someone will help.J

mike1962

Cadet

I am restoriing a 1955 Elgin,I have allready replaced the ignition system new coils capasitors wires and plugs.checked the point gaps all is well put it back together started right up,after a couple minutes of smothe running she died a couple more pulls and ran fine then died.Im tring to find a rebuild kit for the carb with out much luckthe carburator is a tillotson md896 and all the charts seem to skip this one.I also checked the diapraham on the fuel pump seems to be fine but am looking for a sutible material to make a new one as I cant find a replace ment for it one other problem I am having is when I reinstalled the stater plate and rotate it back and forth thier is a grinding sound so i removed it and it shows ware on the bottom I dont know if there is a spacer or washer missing i put a little grese on it witch helped but doesnt seem right

mike1962

Cadet

I need some help finding a piece of rubber that will work for a fuel pump not sure of the word baffel maybe I have a 1955 motor that they dont make a replacement fuel pump for and have been told i can make my own by just tracing and cutting a new piece of rubber but dont know where or what type of rubber to buy any help would be graetful TKS