Anyone ever bought a Certified Pre Owned Engine (CPO)...

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anyone ever bought a Certified Pre Owned Engine (CPO)...

i'm sure they work just fine but the fact of the matter is, that's too much to pay for a used GM 4.3 v6. hell, that's more than i would pay for a new one.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Yes, just did. 7.4L MPI. So far, so good.

I didn't want to deal with other rebuilders.

How was the quality, any rust or signs of wear, scratches? Did you take out the optional warranty on it? What was the reason they gave for having a 7.4L there?

bcnul8tr

Seaman

i'm sure they work just fine but the fact of the matter is, that's too much to pay for a used GM 4.3 v6. hell, that's more than i would pay for a new one.

thanks for the comments, and I realize that, but things work much differently north of the border, taxes are 15% across the board, and the labour rates at most shops up here are $80.00 an hour, plus tax.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How was the quality, any rust or signs of wear, scratches? Did you take out the optional warranty on it? What was the reason they gave for having a 7.4L there?

It actually looked new. Might be for all I know. Yes, we opted for the extended warranty. Why not?

500dollar744ti

thanks for the comments, and I realize that, but things work much differently north of the border, taxes are 15% across the board, and the labour rates at most shops up here are $80.00 an hour, plus tax.

you aren't going to have issues with it, i don't think mercury marine would screw you over for that much money. i would certainly trust the CPO engine, if that's all that you can get up there then do it.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Well, I decided to go with the CPO Engine as opposed to a remanufactured one, They are saying one should be available around October 13th, I am also going to elect for the optional 2 year warranty as well. Now I have to decide on whether or not to get a closed cooling system or not, the shop said there is no real need, and that the manifolds etc... should last 8-10 years without it.

500dollar744ti

8-10 years in freshwater, about half that in salt water. i don't think you need to get a closed cooling system but do keep up with maintenance. the 2 year warranty is a good idea and make sure you flush everything after any salt water use.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

8-10 years in freshwater, about half that in salt water. i don't think you need to get a closed cooling system but do keep up with maintenance. the 2 year warranty is a good idea and make sure you flush everything after any salt water use.

In my case, I can't flush the engine as I have it berthed from May until October in Salt Water, so it never comes out of the water, which was I was pondering the Closed Cooling system

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are in salt water, get the closed cooling system. Full system if possible. Then they only thing you loose from the salt water is the elbows. Manifolds will be cooled with antifreeze.