15 hp Evinrude Problem

duckhunter3105

Recruit
I have a 15 hp Evinrude with electric start. The first time I prime and choke it, the engine will start and run well for about 15 minutes or until I turn it off. If the motor is shut off, and I try to start it again the engine will try to start but it will not turn over. It doesn't matter if I choke it again or not. The engine will not start. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks in advance.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 15 hp Evinrude Problem

Hi duck. Welcome to iboats. What year is your motor? Generally speaking, when a motor has trouble re-starting after having been operated for a bit, it's usually because an electrical component is failing due to the excess heat caused by the motor. Once the motor cools, it will then generally start again. If you have an older motor that uses points & condensers, then it's usually a coil that overheats and fails. If you have a modern electronic ignition, then one of the powerpacks is probably failing. Both are relatively easy to fix. However, coils for vintage motors are only about $20 each, but powerpacks are usually about $100 +. You can get both right here at iboats, if need be.