Replacing master cylinder

mippel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need the help of smart people.
I am replacing a master cylinder for a Tie Down 70lp /w disks, s my old one was leaking. It has the solenoid on it for reverse. The old one was made where the master cylinder was in 3 pieces, bottom, top and bracket to mount on trailer.
Old one:
DSC01183_zps805b17cd.jpg

The new one is just built in 2 pieces, bottom and all in one top and bracket:
DSC01181_zps7e0f7e2a.jpg

Now the interesting part, on the old one, i took off the bracket to remove the solenoid. With the new one, it looks like if i take the top off to install the solenoid, it will also remove the top and break the seal with the gasket. I need more space to rotate the solenoid to install it. Is there a easy way that i am missing to install it? If i have to take the top off, is there a recommended sealer to use to reseal the master cylinder? Here is the amount of room that i need:
DSC01186_zps29be36fb.jpg

Any ideas? Please? :confused:

mippel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replacing master cylinder

I was thinking about looking for something like a brass converter with the same size threads. This might give me the space needed without tearing it all apart.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The original solenoid on my Four Winns trailer was not mounted on the master cylinder. It was mounted farther back on the trailer frame in an "L" bracket.

It would be a fair amount of work for you- fabricating and mounting an "L" bracket to mount the solenoid to the trailer frame and then the line to it would have to be made and flared and the existing line from where you cut in to insert the solenoid would have be flared. Lastly, wires would have be be run from the solenoid to the trailer wiring harness. Not easy, but doable. Hopefully somebody will have an easier answer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

that is a simple 1/8npt close nipple you can get at your local hardware store. go and buy a longer one.