Painting my 1974 Laser Sailboat

clegofan

Recruit
Hello, I am going to be painting my 1974 Laser sailboat. Right now it is an ugly green-faded color. I would like to paint the hull metallic green(going to be mixing metal flake with green) and the deck white. My budget is ~$150. I know it is low but I might have found how to make it work but I'm not sure. Can someone post a step-by-step on how I can go about doing this? I would rather just roll on the paint but I'm not sure if you would need to spray it for a metallic color to make it look good. I only use this boat in fresh water and store it high-and-dry(as you would with a dinghy). Thanks in advance.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Painting my 1974 Laser Sailboat

I would really encourage you to wet sand with about 400 grit, working your way up to at least 800 and then hitting the hull with some buffing compound before you paint it. You may be surprised how nice. Even if you do paint it you will want to sand the gel down as smooth as possible before priming so you have nothing to loose. While you are at it put an access port near the mast step and reinforce it with a couple of layers of glass if this has not been done already. I have a 73 that I cleaned up a couple of years ago and it really came out nice with a couple of hours of work, and your gel coat will be easier to maintain than paint. There are very few that old that are ever sailed. I took mine out racing a couple years ago and the old girl did surprisingly well for her age and their reputation of soft and slow.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome clegofan,

I know nothing about sailboats, but I can tell you to try and follow "gddavid's" advice about attempting to clean up the gel-coat first...if it isn't too far gone, you might be pleasantly surprised at the results of your efforts...

If you end up having to paint...forget anything related to metallics or metal flakes unless you have all the necessary items required for a totally happy finish...by that I mean, the experience working with these types of paints, the right equipment to shoot them, and either have a pro spray booth or can set up a good facsimile at home...any type of metallic paint can be a real disappointment if not done correctly...

Here is a real good link on how to paint your boat on a budget...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384982&page=10&p=3302799#post3302799

Have Fun and Happy Sailing!
GT1M

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello, I am going to be painting my 1974 Laser sailboat. Right now it is an ugly green-faded color. I would like to paint the hull metallic green(going to be mixing metal flake with green) and the deck white. My budget is ~$150. I know it is low but I might have found how to make it work but I'm not sure. Can someone post a step-by-step on how I can go about doing this? I would rather just roll on the paint but I'm not sure if you would need to spray it for a metallic color to make it look good. I only use this boat in fresh water and store it high-and-dry(as you would with a dinghy). Thanks in advance.

Can you refreash us as to what paint system your talking about ..

YD.

clegofan

Recruit

Yes, I found an automotive spray gun and detailer for ~$50 and while be borrowing my neighbors air compressor. I have some experience spraying and will be rolling on primer and the top grippaint. The paint and clearcoat will be sprayed on.