mechanical fuel pump hook up

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I'm getting close to having everything hooked up on my motor. I have a 1979 mercruiser 260 with a quadrajet carb and a what looks close to the airtex fuel pump. Keep in mind whenni gotnthe boat there was no motor just the external parts. On the fuel pump there is the sight tube fitting, one connection that goes about 45 degrees toward the aft starboard side, and one connection that goes close to strait aft. What I need to know is where the sight tube hooks to and which connection is inlet and which is outlet. Thanks for the help.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: mechanical fuel pump hook up

Sight tube connects to the back of the airhorn on the carburetor via a clear tube (NOT vinyl or Tygon!...the 42 inch length of tubing sells for about 22 bucks on the internet boat part sites).

Bottom port on the fuel pump is the pump suction. Top port on the pump is the discharge port (on my 5.0L, the bottom port points 45 degrees twd fwd-port, and the top port is the one that points near straight fwd..in any event, you should be able to differentiate between the two ports by their location (bottom chamber or top chamber) on the pump.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/bigger/18-7283_big.jpg

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok finally got back to the fuel pump. I have it hooked up except for the sight tube. I can't find anywhere to hook it up. The only location is on the front of the carb, there is a barb fitting that has a rubber cap on it. Could that be it. The boat had a electric pump that had been installed with the last motor. I went back to the mechanical. So what I am wondering did they maybe cap it because of the electric fuel pump. image.jpg

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks that did answer my question. I think that means I'm ready to start it up.