how long can i run the radio?

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this has probably been asked at least a few times, but i could not find anything with a search. We like to go out, anchor out, and float around. When doing so, the SO always wishes we could run the radio, but im afraid it will run the battery to low and we will not be able to get it started. It is kind of hard to start sometimes and takes a few cranks to get going.

The boat is a small 18ft sea ray ski boat, and doesnt have room for a second battery. The radio is a pioneer head unit with 4 or 6 6.5in speakers. I figured id get a least a little time out of it, but unsure how long.

Is there a device i can connect inline that will cut off if the battery gets low?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: how long can i run the radio?

add a second battery with a battery switch

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

which seating option do you have in your 180? the standard rear jump seats or the sport seating with the sun deck? I find it hard to believe that there isnt room for a second battery in your '99 when I have seen dual batteries in a '98 180.

you can also go with a 950 CCA group 27 that has 105ah and 120 minute reserve for your single battery. that would give you about 6 hours of tunes with more than enough battery left to start the 3.0 liter

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

do you have a volt meter if so this will help and it depends on what type of battery as to how long it will last the better one to run is a duel purpose starting/deep cycle

voltchart1.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check the size of the battery in your car. Compare it to the one in your boat. Turn the radio on in the car and leave it on for the length of time you would normally have the boat anchored with the radio going. Then start the car. If it doesn't start you either need a new battery or you need to adjust the amount of "play time". I think you will find that the boat radio can easily run the radio for several hours before there is a hint of problem. That is of course you fix the engine so it starts reliably and that the current battery is of sufficient size and in good condition. A battery is like a bucket of electricity. The bigger the bucket (as in capacity) the longer you can run things.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

which seating option do you have in your 180? the standard rear jump seats or the sport seating with the sun deck? I find it hard to believe that there isnt room for a second battery in your '99 when I have seen dual batteries in a '98 180.

you can also go with a 950 CCA group 27 that has 105ah and 120 minute reserve for your single battery. that would give you about 6 hours of tunes with more than enough battery left to start the 3.0 liter

It has the rear jump seats. I looked in there and i dont see room for a second battery . If yo or someone has a picture of the dual setup so i can visualize how they fit. that would help.

If not ill look at the bigger battery.

Thanks!

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, they're called battery protectors.

Ive heard of similar for autos. but i wasnt sure if they differ for marine. Any info or link would be great.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the size of the battery in your car. Compare it to the one in your boat. Turn the radio on in the car and leave it on for the length of time you would normally have the boat anchored with the radio going. Then start the car. If it doesn't start you either need a new battery or you need to adjust the amount of "play time". I think you will find that the boat radio can easily run the radio for several hours before there is a hint of problem. That is of course you fix the engine so it starts reliably and that the current battery is of sufficient size and in good condition. A battery is like a bucket of electricity. The bigger the bucket (as in capacity) the longer you can run things.

the tow vehicle has the rockford fostgate factory system, with a set of 10in subs in the back. It kills the battery within an hour. :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you just post some pictures of the rear seat compartments of your boat. It may be possible to move things around and make room for a second battery. I know on boats I have added batteries to, usually just moving the original battery makes room for a second battery.

You could also turn the radio on while the boat is on the trailer, and see how long the battery lasts before the engine doesn't start.

No way of answering your question as to how long without knowing what the power consumption is, what size and type battery you have, etc. Then it depends on the state of charge of the battery to start with. They also loose capacity with age.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

here ya go. It looks like I might be able to turn the battery 90 deg, and sit two in side by side. Ill have to measure to make sure. its going to be tight if its possible.

If i can, what do i use to run them? I see battery isolators, do i use that? and just connect the starter to one battery and everything else to the other? or is there something special i use?

20120923_092011_zps817b2d8f.jpg

20120923_092032_zpsf5b96e54.jpg

20120923_092059_zps0eca72a2.jpg

20120923_092027_zps43b8db78.jpg

thanks for the info.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What's under the seat on the other side of the engine?

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

fuel tank on the other side. no access under the seat. the battery side has a cubby with a drain hole. I guess for a cooler, or something.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as the state of charge. the battery isnt new, but it still starts hard. Any float time we have would be right after a decent run of throttle across the lake or bay. so the alt would have time to top it off before we start using it for the radio. I think the cut off would get me through the rest of this season, and look into a second battery next season. Unless someone has a better idea.

Are there special cut offs for marine use? or will one for an auto work?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

carry a booster pack. I have this one
nautilus.jpg

- it has emergency navigation lights, an inverter and USB power, a compressor that can inflate a trailer tire, and a little LED voltage display you touch it before heading out and you have peace of mind, and you don't need to mount it or wire any switches in. And it can start your tow vehicle if necessary when you get back to the ramp.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

carry a booster pack. I have this one
nautilus.jpg

- it has emergency navigation lights, an inverter and USB power, a compressor that can inflate a trailer tire, and a little LED voltage display you touch it before heading out and you have peace of mind, and you don't need to mount it or wire any switches in. And it can start your tow vehicle if necessary when you get back to the ramp.

i would love to have one of those, but this model has very little storage space. The only complaint i have..

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the remote is cool... I leave my bilge blower switch on.
When I'm walking to the boat I just hit the remote and the blower runs for a minute or two before I even get there.

and unlike a Perko 1/2 switch, you don't have to worry about accidentally disconnecting the battery while the alternator is putting out - it has a smart circuit preventing that