Single 350?

26bertram

Cadet
I wanted to get some feedback and see if anyone thinks a Yamaha 350 would be a good re-power choice for a 26 ft, 1984 Bertram. She has a dry weight 6,500lbs. It had twin 200 Johnson Oceanrunners. It is the only outboard model boat Bertram ever made.

I looked at the performance bulletins on the Yamaha website and saw one boat that weighed in at 6,100lbs (dry) and everthing looked good performance wise but it was a 26ft aluminum boat with a different hull design than mine.

Money is an object. I don't want to go much higher in horsepower than twin 150's because of the weight of the 4-stroke motors and the 200's are too expensive for me. There is no Evinrude dealer close enough to service or purchase twin 175 or 200 E-Tecs.

This is going to cost alot of money either way. I would hate to buy the single motor and it not be enough.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 0

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: Single 350?

As long as you're at least 75% of the rated max HP you should be good to go.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

if the boat is being used to go offshore, would you have any concerns going to a single motor .... being openly paranoid, I am very uneasy leaving port with a single outboard

Jim

26bertram

Cadet

Jim,

Not too concerned, with the technology today the motors are pretty reliable. Like any machine or engine things can go wrong though. I have sea tow and a good anchor, usually don't travel more than 20-25 miles offshore.

If I had the money I would re power with twins for that reason but the cost short and long term is greater.

Thanks for your feedback.

Doug

NYBo

Admiral

I'm a little confused. If money is the issue (always is) why not send what you have out for a rebuild / repair? I think I would MUCH rather have twins back there.
This was my thought also. What's wrong with the current motors?

26bertram

Cadet

Bubba & NYBo,

I scored a cylinder and piston in one of the existing motors. It needs a new power head. It will be close to $5K.

These hard starting, thirsty(1 mile to the gallon), 19 year old motors don't seem worth putting in that kind of money to me. The running motor could do the same thing anytime and I'd be out $10K, a good down payment for a new motor.

mr 88

Commander

If your boat was a I/0 it probably would of been powered by a 350 v8 that puts out 260 hp. So based on that I would say no problem.