Thoughts on 67 Johnson 20hp

grizzrider09

Seaman
I just bought a 1967 Johnson 20hp model fd-21r and I just wanted to get the experts thoughts on it. Saw it sitting outside a guys shed, stopped asked if he wanted to sell it and picked it up for 100 bucks. Now its missing the prop and nut but it looks pretty clean under the hood. I pulled the plugs out and its getting fire but sprayed some gas in the carb and it wouldn't crank. I was just wondering if these were good motors and any thoughts on what all I should check first before I go taking this thing apart.

gordwa

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Thoughts on 67 Johnson 20hp

I just bought a 1967 Johnson 20hp model fd-21r and I just wanted to get the experts thoughts on it. Saw it sitting outside a guys shed, stopped asked if he wanted to sell it and picked it up for 100 bucks. Now its missing the prop and nut but it looks pretty clean under the hood. I pulled the plugs out and its getting fire but sprayed some gas in the carb and it wouldn't crank. I was just wondering if these were good motors and any thoughts on what all I should check first before I go taking this thing apart.

When you say wont crank do you mean it wont turn over (like froze) or you mean it wont start??? If it turns over first thing i would do is check the cylinder compression...If your compression is low or one cylinder is off more then 15lb the opposed cylinder then then you will have to tear it down .It might just need rings and a light hone job.If all is well with the compression then first i would take the carb off and really clean it..I mean compressed air and soaked in some type of carb cleaning solvent clean with all jets removed and cleaned.Then i would check the fuel pump, filters, whole fuel system.The i would make sure the water pump impeller is new.And if the ignition is OK like you said then try to fire it up.I just rebuilt a 69 6hp Johnson.It runs like a Swiss watch love it.Make sure to get a manual to

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well worth the money.

do as above.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great engine. As long as it is not frozen up, it can't take much to get it going again.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of the best power-to-weight ratio omc ever built. Its the popular 22 cubic inch motors that lasted until `76. Like stated above, compression check, clean carb, water pump, check for water in lower unit. My favorite motor, i have a `66 , `69 and a `75 and always looking to add to the fleet.

grizzrider09

Seaman

Its not froze and compression looks good. I think I might have flooded it out spraying gas straight into the carb but the only reason I did it was because one of the fuel hoses was rotten. It tried to start but went dead soon after the gas burnt out. I think this is going to be a good motor. Its been setting outside in the weather for a few years the man said and its all faded and rusted up on the outside. I would like to completely restore it. Anybody got any pics of what they look like new or restored?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi grizz. I have a '66 20 hp myself and I love it. Just about the strongest pound-for-pound motors ever made. I actually got mine and a '65 parts motor for $100 too. It wasn't running, but it did have good compression. All the rest can be fixed for under $100, or so. Give this link a read and then decide. If you decide to go forward, you're in the right place. You can get any routine parts you may need right here at iboats.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/382088/38208800001.htm

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/382088/38208800001.htm

grizzrider09

Seaman

I need to rebuild the fuel pump on this and I cant find kit number anywhere. Can anybody recognize this pumpfuel pump.jpg

grizzrider09

Seaman

I need a little more help with this one. So far I have put new plugs, a new fuel pump, new fuel lines, cleaned the carb and put in a carb kit with new float and gaskets. I still cant get this thing to crank. I have sprayed gas straight into the carb and it wont even hit. I take the plugs out and its firing and getting gas from the smell of it. Any suggestions?

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again grizz. Sounds like you've done all the right things. Sometimes it helps to take a step back and start fresh. I would double check the compression. Assuming it's ok, you can move on to the spark. If both plugs (Champion J4C or J6C) will jump 1/4" gap, then the spark should be ok. That only leavs fuel. If the primer bulb gets firm when you squeeze it prior to start up, that's good and means your fuel pump is probably ok. You should also be able to hear the carb filling with fuel as you prime the line. You should then be able to put the motor in neutral, pull out the choke knob, twist the throttle as far forward as you can and start it while in a test tank. If it doesn't at least show signs of trying to start in 5 or 6 pulls, stop take a step back and reevaluate. You may want to check the fuel lines for any leaks as well. Make sure that the kill switch isn't somehow preventing the motor from firing either. Be patient and systematic. Thankfully, there are only 3 things you need (compression, spark, fuel) so it has to be one of those three. Good luck. Holler if you get stuck.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

How did you check for spark ???

grizzrider09

Seaman

Its getting good spark but I have not checked the compression again. I will check that next.

lindy46

Captain

Check spark with a spark tester - $8 at any auto parts store. It should jump at least a 1/4" gap with a snappy blue spark. If you have good spark, good compression (100psi+ and even on both cylinders), and a clean/rebuilt carb and fuel pump (good fuel delivery), it should at least fire. If not, then it's time to pull they flywheel and check for a sheared key, improperly set points, or possibly a link and synch problem.