I have bought a freshwater 2000 Doral 250SE Volvo Penta 5.7GS have questions

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I found the boat I wanted, a 2000 Doral 250SE 5.7GS Volvo , fish finder, depth finder, gps, and 2500w inverter. Had a marine survey done, paid less than what it is valued at, we feel a very good deal due to sellers divorce, there were a couple things pointed out, most notable issue was minor osmosis at stern portside above water level, which will be addressed/sanded and fiberglass repaired properly, then have entire Hull Interlux Interprotect 2000E Epoxy Marine Barrier Coat Kitted .

The sump was broken and has been repaired and I had the leg pulled inspected, exhaust bellows replaced and I had the U drive and gimbell bearing checked, fresh oil change and regreased. 440 hrs and a 1 owner boat. Overall condition is really nice with a few minor dock dings which is expected

I am planning to drop this boat into the salt/brackish waters where I reside 15 minutes from a marina in the Pacific Northwest. I have started ordering everything needed but have some questions.

So far here is what I have ordered up as I am gonna do this right before putting into the water. It has just been freshly acid washed

San Juan 1/2 FWC system V112 ordered
QL Neutra Salt system ordered w 2 gallons refill
1 Gallon Interlux Primocon Primer
1 gallon & 2 quarts Interlux Interprotect 2000E Epoxy Marine Barrier Coat Kit
2 gallons Petit Horizon Ablative anti fouling paint
1 gallon Micron CSC Ablative anti fouling paint and Inter Protect thinner for final coat ( will go with 3 coats total)

I learn't that in Canada we are not able to have the biocide or slime prevention additive available in our equivalent products compared to the USA product, so the Petit Horizons anti fouling paint I plan to use will be the 1st 2 coats , a blue then black followed by the final black coat of Micron CSC I have bought out of the US which has the slime fighting agent.

If you can point anything else out to me it is appreciated. I plan to also replace cap/rotor, spark plugs and wires.

Last couple things I need:

Found PN# >> sacrificial zincs i will need for saltwater use?

Doral PN# to replace the 3 main windows on the canopy as these ones are on way out, are these Doral specific, I am guessing so.

I have to say it was a nice riding boat when i took it out!

cheers

wrench 3

Commander
Re: I have bought a freshwater 2000 Doral 250SE Volvo Penta 5.7GS have questions

The first thing that came to mind to mind when I read your post was, does the engine have a closed cooling system. If not, you will damage the cooling system if you opperate it in salt water.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I have bought a freshwater 2000 Doral 250SE Volvo Penta 5.7GS have questions

The first thing that came to mind to mind when I read your post was, does the engine have a closed cooling system. If not, you will damage the cooling system if you opperate it in salt water.

San Juan 1/2 system FWC (for the block) is on order for pickup at San Juan in Bellingham WA 45 minutes away. For the top end (intakes/manifolds/riser and exhaust) I will instal the Neutra Salt system which allows purging of the upper end once one shut engine done, it is a 45 sec process and all salinity is removed and a coating barrier put down on the metal to prevent or reduce corrosion.

goose25

Seaman Apprentice

the main windows on the canopy and all the canvas was made by ANP (anp.ca) still in business, just outside Montreal

QC

Supreme Mariner

That's awfully black and white . . . While not ideal, thousands upon thousands of open cooling systems run in salt every single minute of every single day. It is not a one way ticket to hell, especially if flushed properly. Not to infer that closed cooling isn't good, but it's not required for salt water operation. I used to think that way, but not anymore

To the OP, you should consider posting your Volvo specific questions in the Volvo I/O section ^^^^^^ There is nothing unique about a Volvo in a Doral. Good luck. Nice boat!!!

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the main windows on the canopy and all the canvas was made by ANP (anp.ca) still in business, just outside Montreal

thanks very much! will look into that!

To the OP, you should consider posting your Volvo specific questions in the Volvo I/O section ^^^^^^ There is nothing unique about a Volvo in a Doral. Good luck. Nice boat!!!

I will post there as well, I appreciate the feedback guys!

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ciscokidd,
Have an electrical survey done on the boat and make sure it is tested in the berth as well.
Doral/Volvo electrical issues cost me Au$20k caused by corrosion. Volvo admitted that they had issues with some of the parts and replaced them, for the major components however they blamed Doral who blamed Volvo...

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat is at boatyard getting some work done, hope to have all complete and ticky boo in 7-10 days. What is actual size of aft cabin mattress, are they doubles, I am guessing so? I would like to buy a 2" memory foam mattress that is on sale locally for a very good price