Worthwhile upgrade or complete waste of money?

RandyBC

Seaman
2001 5.7 carbureted Mercruiser 250hp alpha one gen ii outdrive

Is it worthwile to consider swapping out the 2barrel carb for a 4 barrel and upgrading the intake manifold or is this just spending money for little or no gain in torque/hp?

RandyBC

Seaman
Re: Worthwhile upgrade or complete waste of money?

Ok, let me put it another way then. Are there reasonably simple ways to increase the performance of this engine that don't involve ripping the engine down and rebuilding it from the bottom up? I have a feeling that the answer is likely no.

2001 5.7 carbureted Mercruiser 250hp alpha one gen ii outdrive

Is it worthwile to consider swapping out the 2barrel carb for a 4 barrel and upgrading the intake manifold or is this just spending money for little or no gain in torque/hp?

This question was raised by someone else a month or so ago - the only difference being in that case the engine was a 4.3l. If I remember correctly the concensus was that it wasn't worth the effort/cost.

Petty Officer 1st Class

edelbrock 4bbl carb and performer intake would certainly make a difference. Maybe another 2-3 mph. Of course its your decision whether the extra fuel bill is worth it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

edelbrock 4bbl carb and performer intake would certainly make a difference.
He could only use that manifold if he has closed cooling since it is aluminum.

At the same speed, the fuel mileage woudl be close to identical.

RandyBC

Seaman

I do have a closed cooling system on this boat.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

edelbrock 4bbl carb and performer intake would certainly make a difference. Maybe another 2-3 mph. Of course its your decision whether the extra fuel bill is worth it.

It's not going to make a very significant difference.

The only way to make significant (noticeable) HP in most marine engines by adding additional fuel flow (capability--using a bigger carburetor) will be to improve the heads (airflow), increasing displacement or increasing the RPM etc so it can take advantage of the larger carburetor..

RPM is sort of limited because the drives don't want to turn more than about 5000 RPM.( yes I know people routinely turn drives MUCH faster)

If you want more power, plan to build up a stroker SBC aluminum engine with aluminum heads, manifolds/risers. You'll have (A LOT) less weight and a LOT more HP. (be careful with your "throttle hand" or you'll break that Alpha!)........Oh......BRING LOTS OF $$$

Operating the boat at approx the same speed (loaded with the same weight) will yield approx the same fuel flow regardless of engine. (BFSC of most marine V-8s is approx the "same")

The above link implies why a 454 might "use" more fuel than a 383 or 350 etc in the same boat. It's not that it has a worse BFSC as the smaller engines, in FACT, it's approx the same! it's that the engine (installation) simply weighs more and takes more (produced) HP to drag that extra weight around at the same speed.

So in a nutshell......... Just changing the carb for a bigger one (2 bbl or 4 bbl) doesn't do enough to justify the cost.

RandyBC

Seaman

Great explanation! Thanks for your input. I'll leave things alone...