1964 Evinrude Starflite 90-S Questions

boatmaster09

Seaman Apprentice
So Im moving right along with my resto and hava couple questions. But first here is the details of my motor. It is a 1964 Evindude Starflite 90-S, Had a complete rebuild 2 years ago and runs great (according to po, though I did get to see it run) Model #90493 S and Serial # E03460. Im getting to the point where I want to buy new gauges and things for it as it still has all the originals. So here are my 3 questions...

#1, with the boat/motor being as old as it is, it was installed with a dummy light that would light up when the engine would get hot, (dont even know that it worked). Can I by-pass the dummy light and go with a modern temp gauge?
#2, the motor came with the usual 6 gallon metal outboard tanks with the hose with the primer bulb in line. I plan on installing a 15 gallon above deck permanent tank. Can I get away with running a fuel pump rather than the line with the in line primer?
#3, WOuld I also be able to install a tach?
Let me know your ideas

Cody

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1964 Evinrude Starflite 90-S Questions

#1, the light is an on/off set up, you cannot hook a guage up to that wire. They used to make a guage setup for some engines, but have not seen any lately, you could try a google search.
#2, are you talking about an electric fuel pump? Not a good idea to install an electric pump in the fuel system, you have no way to control it if a fuel hose breaks or leaks. The primer bulb system did work, and still does on newer engines, quite well. It is probably your safest and best bet.
#3, they had tacs available for your engine, again, try a google search and see what you find.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Evinrude Starflite 90-S Questions

iboats sells temperture gages.

Your 90S has automotive battery ignition (points & condenser). So...a common car tach will work, but is not "marine". A marine (inboard or I/O) tach will also work, as long as it is for points ignition. Your 4 cyl two stroke fires the same number of times as a V-8 four stroke. So think V-8. All modern outboards use an alternator tach. Will that work on yours?? I'd have to ponder on that a bit. I'll get back to you on that.

Followup: Thinking about the alternator tach, it would do SOMETHING, but not sure of what. Your alternator has an externally excited field winding controlled by the voltage regulator. An alternator tach probably would be erratic as the regulator rapidly interrupts the field circuit. Besides, I have no idea how many poles it has. So, short answer is...no an alternator tach probably is not a good idea.