rattle flywheel housing

aven2rus

Cadet
Well I replaced the rubber snubber for lack of terms on the sea pump to silence it and the rattle was still there.

Pulled the drive and u-joints were good.

Further inspection I find the flywheel housing is fractured along the edges and pieces of aluminum laying on the mounts.

Any ideas what caused this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: rattle flywheel housing

Post some pictures of the damage.

aven2rus

Cadet

Housing2_zps79b3641f.jpg

Housing1_zpsabd936c2.jpg

Don S

Pull the drive and check the gimbal bearing, and pull the engine and check the coupler.

aven2rus

Cadet

Have the drive off and gimbal bearing is good.

So looks like a coupler. Is the inside of it rubber and worn would allow movement?

Can see how it would contact the housing unless the bolts came loose.

Woud this premature wear possibly be engine aligment.

coupler_zps6c9ca616.jpg

Don S

The rubber part is not the issue, and it may not even be the coupler, but until you take it apart and look you will have no idea what caused the problem.

aven2rus

Cadet

I can get my hand on the rubber and it is all intact . However the coupler is loose and can be wiggled to create the rattle.

Taking it to the marina on Monday. They say $1000-$1500 to pull the motor and replace.

Would have thought a boat with 55 hours was a safe bet.:facepalm:

Don S

Would have thought a boat with 55 hours was a safe bet.:facepalm:

Hours means nothing, you have no clue when the hour meter was installed. They aren't usually a standard instrument and get added later.
Besides, your engine is gray, which means it's a 94 to 00 engine, that means it's at least 12 years old, and who knows what has happened in the last 12 years.

aven2rus

Cadet

Correct the boat is 2001 Harris Pontoon. The meter is the digital thats incorporated in the OE gauge.

I bought from a elderly gentlman who bought it new and garage kept it after every use. The boat looks new and well worth the investment. I actually located a local marina that is doing it for $700 and left the boat with them.

Thanks for the feedback.