new console

Status
Not open for further replies.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Well I finely got a good start on my new console. I built the case about 2 mouths ago and have been ordering stuff and while I got the boat at home instead of on the slip I thought I would go ahead and get it done. I cut it out and fitted the stuff yesterday and took it to the upholstery shop this morning. I should have it back in a week.

front shoot
new console 1.JPG

side shot
new console 2.JPG

close up om the bottom. I added some 3/4 PVC trim board to the bottom to stop it wicking up water and rotting it out. I had enough left over from the shelves I made earlier.
new console 3.JPG

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: new console

Nice James. Is there any type of hinged access door for getting at the wiring or fuses, or storing a fire ext ? Also, any cutouts on top for drink holders or storage for sunglasses, cell phones, ipod ect... ?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The lower front is a removable panel. Their isn't enough room to hinge it to swing out so I made it bolt on. On the back is where my live well is. Right now it just has 10-24 screws with SS T nuts on the inside holding it in place but after I get it back it will have some stainless fender washers to prevent leakage. I have a small shelf that is made out of 3/4 PVC trim board under the shifter controller to set cups and cans as well as my flair gun and other stuff and the fire ext is mounted on the seat box behind the captains seat so any one can grab it if needed. I thought a good bit about putting in some cup holders in the top but decided not to because I am often out fishing in the rain and wanted to cut down the risk of leakage getting in to the console and I know I can seal them but the shelf is a lot easier access.

The existing console is ok but it got a bit crowded as I added stuff and I wanted to add a tachometer, volt meter and a hour meter and their just wasn't enough room and when I made that one last year I was in a bit if a hurry to get it on the water and do some fishing.

I don't use a iPod, the stereo is set up for a SD memory card, I use 2 gig cards that holds 350 tunes. I been collecting MP 3`s for a lot of years and have some thing like 25,000 so its a matter of dropping them on a card and plunging it in and 350 is around 30 hours of tunes

shelf
driver shelf 512.JPG

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well I finely got it back from the upholstery shop, a week late but they did a good job and I got a good start on it install.

the wiring mess after the old one was pulled
new consol 4.JPG

as it came back
new consol 5.JPG

got the vinyl cut out
new consol 8.JPG

I got a good bit done putting stuff back in but didn't take pictures yet. Will have more tomorrow.

The Rooster

Ensign

Sweet !!! Will the throttle and shift cables be side mount ? I don't recall seeing the name "Bad Dog" on the barge. any plans for that ?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yea the shifter is rail mounted and I have been making a graphic to put on the sides, its not done but here is a sneek peek

bad dog 512.jpg

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Got it finished up today and got ever thing installed and finished up will test it at the lake tomorrow going to get in some much needed fishing.
I added a tachometer. volt meter and a hour meter.

Some different view`s

the old one

consol 1 512.JPG

the new one

new consol 9.JPG

new consol 11.JPG

new consol 12.JPG

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Really looking forward to getting back on the lake , the stripes should be hitting again soon. This past spring was my first real experience with them, had a lot of fun.

sawbld

Cadet

Great Job!!
Is there a little padding under the vinyl?

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really nice looking console, you did a great job. Also very good looking graphic.

Glenn

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes its padded with a 1/2 foam it gives it a smother look, the pt wood is rough so its is needed and it helps if you bump into it.

The upholstery shop I deal with uses a grade that is suposto be better for marine use, he reworks a lot of seats and so on. I have had him do several jobs for me, I make the cases and do the cut outs for the holes and the the devices and then have him cover it and when it comes back its ready to install, all I have to do is use a razor knife and cut out the vinyl and foam. I don't like to try to cut out the plywood after its been covered. On this I made a full sized cardboard templet of the dash area then made them for the components and moved them around till I fond a layout I liked.

It came out nice I am happy with it and the total cost was around 140.00 including the wood and so on.

The graphic is a work in progress I doddle with it when I have time. I had planned on stripping off the old alum fence siding over the winter and adding that to the sides but not sure if it will get done this year. I have been thinking on colorizing it to look like a mean pug dog. That`s about as threatening as a loaf of bread.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Finley got the last picture of it after the studs and wing nuts added. That should make it a lot easier access

new consol 15.JPG

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

That`s the horn button, it dose have a lighter just above it for a power outlet. I would be glad to give a break down on whats all there if any one is interested.

Force39

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Great job! Could you tell me more about doing the cutouts after it had the vinyl and pad. I'm buying a new console and will have to do my cutouts. Thanks, John

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Great job! Could you tell me more about doing the cutouts after it had the vinyl and pad. I'm buying a new console and will have to do my cutouts. Thanks, John

No he can't. Last visit was before the end of the year. Start a new thread with your questions.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.