WLS radio

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was sitting hear remembering my youth, when I was like 11 or 12. I lived next to a school mate in Woodridge IL, and his parents were writers for rolling stone magazine. Well in the late 70s they took me to the WLS morning show in the loop. Anybody remember the theater where they broadcasted it from, And the DJ that I think started the disco sucks thing?. I remember him counting how many hit's to the head it took to bust a disco album?.:)

UP DATE! listing to WLS online, there playing "staying alive".

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: WLS radio

As a teenager in the mid to late 70's, I remember listening to WLS on a transistor radio in "N Mn". Came in great most nights. I had the radio by my head and quiet so my parents in the next room couldn't hear it. I guess I was supposed to be sleeping or something....:rolleyes:

aspeck

Staff member

Going to school at Wheaton College, just outside of Chicago, it was standard morning wake-up fare.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

WLS was one of the "super" stations when I was in the service, mid to late '60's. Used to pick them up loud and clear after dark, usually a stronger signal than the local stations in Fayetteville, NC.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Growing up in eastern Iowa in the late 60's, we would switch between WLS and KSTT in Davenport. If we were feeling really daring, we would drive by the KSTT broadcast booth with WLS blaring loud enough to get the DJ to say something. I make it back to the midwest several times a year and allways listen to the big 89.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I was just tuned into AM890 30 minutes ago, on the drive home.
Yes, I am 300 miles away, but they are still a clear channel station.
The AM side is all talk radio now.
They are my late nite news source, and my source for Mark Levin.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lived in western Pa. and used to listen to **** Biondi on WLS while sitting in the drive-in with the guys and gals. Biondi used to be local to us before he moved to Chicago.

In the 60's I once interviewed with WLS for a job as a broadcast engineer, but was rejected due to insufficient experience. Great old station.

bassman284

Commander

Lived in western Pa. and used to listen to **** Biondi on WLS while sitting in the drive-in with the guys and gals. Biondi used to be local to us before he moved to Chicago.

In the 60's I once interviewed with WLS for a job as a broadcast engineer, but was rejected due to insufficient experience. Great old station.

Hmm. You're old too, eh? **** Biondi was one of the greats.

{edit} I had to Google Biondi and found that he is still going strong at 80. He's come full circle and is back at WLS FM doing a nightly oldies show.

http://www.947wls.com/sectional.asp?id=25027

Last edited:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Remember it all way to well! Steve Dahl, Garry Meyer, and the band, "Teenage Radiation" Even saw live downtown, when the did live radio broadcast in some theater. And of course, "Disco Demolition" night, Sox park. Damn I still miss my stomping grounds!

And on Biondi..remember what he said about "skirts get any shorter, ........."...got thrown off the air for that one I think. And Larry Lujack, and "Little Tommy"...crazy fun times!

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Growing up in mid Michigan, we could get WLS out of Chicago or WJR out of Detroit easily.

Those were two of the three call letter power house 50,000 watt stations. Those stations were allowed that kind of power becasue of National Defense, way back when.

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I was in high school two buddies and I would camp on the Coosa river in Gadsden,Al. We would listen to WLS on the radio in my '66 VW.