Rusted Starter

nwboater45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1989 Mercruiser 3.7, 165 hp. The starter is rusted onto the block. It worked before I decided to change it but since it was so rusted on the exterior I felt it was time for a change. I have soaked it with PB Blaster and hit is several times with a 2lb hammer. It wont budge. Any suggestions? Stupid question, but does it matter if it is in or out of gear? Should I just keep hammering away.

I have the the bracket off and the two long bolts through the block off as well. I beleive that is all the bolts.

Thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Rusted Starter

It does not. Stupid question back, are you sure you got the right two bolts? It is pretty tight back there and I have wrenched on the wrong one LOL. If the bracket is off and the two bolts are out tapping with the hammer should do it, just don't hit the block, good luck.

nwboater45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It does not. Stupid question back, are you sure you got the right two bolts? It is pretty tight back there and I have wrenched on the wrong one LOL. If the bracket is off and the two bolts are out tapping with the hammer should do it, just don't hit the block, good luck.

Sorry I just have too!

It has to be the correct bolts.....I have the new starter laying right next to it. It has two long bolts with the nuts on the starter side. I am not seeing where there could be any other bolts.

Get a Bigger hammer.

Love it!! I keep upgrading the hammer....sledge is next lol.......tomorrow I have thinking of taking the torch to it to heat it up.

NHGuy

Captain

Get a picture of the starter, maybe you are missing a bolt.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

+1 to Terry. Ialso loosened the wrong bolt initially...

nwboater45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

3986880]Only 2 bolts and the brace, keep workin on her.;)[/QUOTE]
That is what I had thought. I don't see anymore bolts.

+1 to Terry. Ialso loosened the wrong bolt initially...

starter 3.jpgbolts and bracket.jpgstarter 2.jpg

I have attached photos of my pain.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

There is 2 more bolts under the starter,you have to reach underneath to get at them.

nwboater45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is 2 more bolts under the starter,you have to reach underneath to get at them.

Here are photos of the new starter. The only other bolts underneath the starter are down by the oil pan. starter new.JPGstarter new 2.jpg

Oh the value of a service manual!!!!!

I do have the manuals, Clymers and Mercruiser service manula #8...neither shows the mountng bolts locations. Just says remove the mounting bolts.

I have replaced lots of starters on cars. I used to race and build my own motors. They are usually just two bolts throught the block and a support at the other end. This is just the first one I have encountered like this.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

2 bolts PLUS the 2 holding the brace...4 total.
New plan! Smaller hammer, bigger wrench!

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

a lot of people are referring to a different engine like the 3.0 lump.then there would be some bolts under but yours are pictured and the location of the starter has rusted onto its round location within the block.can only suggest hitting the flange of the starter to try and make it rotate one way then the other or a drift between the faces of the starter and the block.as their both cast something may break and if anything wants to break you want it to be the starter and not the block as thats a replacement or weld job.heat may be required but you have to remember there is an element of danger and all fuel will have to be isolated or removed from a heat source.a paint stripper gun may be enough to heat the area up.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Indeed I was referring to the other type of starter......whoop's.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I think nw has them all. The problem is that when something rusts it expands, and I think the starter nose has just gotten tight in the hole. Tapping on it should work it loose eventually. Could try some PB Blaster.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Ok, looking at the pics again. I saw one with the bracket and only 2bolts. The other with the starter (upside down?) Looks like at least the upper block bolt is removed...

nwboater45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was not able to work on it much yesterday. I have been soaking it with PB Blaster. I did apply heat to it on Saturday with a propane torch and got it to budge about 1/8 of an inch. I have pounded on it so mush the that starter is starting to break apart. I am going to stop by my local marine shop after work and see if they have any suggestions. Also splitting my time with trying to get the gimbal bearing out.

Moral of the story...never buy a boat from a guy who doesn't even know what a fuel water separator is. I don't think he ever did any maintenance on the boat.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

if you have it moving it will eventually come out.if you damage it you have another for it anyway.reglar easing oil every day or so will help dramitically.