Towing 2008 Sea Ray 185 Sport with Ford Edge AWD?

pbc

Cadet
Thinking of picking up a 2008 Sea Ray 185 Sport with the 4.3 Merc, and have a 2010 Ford Edge with a Class II hitch. The ride is about 2 to 2.5 hours from the cottage and I plan on driving as slow as possible!

The guy at hidden hitch seem to imply this shouldn't be an issue with the AWD, just wanted to ask the question before I attempted it!

Thanks!

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Towing 2008 Sea Ray 185 Sport with Ford Edge AWD?

Within document http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/10FLMrvEDGEsep09.pdf (top page) it clearly states the Edge has a MAX towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. And, its only 2,000 lbs "without" towing upgrades - like better rims. Suggest providing your vehicle's VIN to your local Ford dealer and they will confirm the "real" towing power of your vehicle.

Towing capacity of many vehicles are often based ONLY 150 lbs driver, nothing else in the vehicle and only 1/4 tank of fuel. The more "stuff" (like fuel, people, dog and cargo) inside the vehicle, the less remaining towing power the vehicle has. re: 3,500 lbs - 300 lbs (of usual people inside the Tow Vehicle as well) + 100 lbs cooler and gear = remaining 3,100 lbs pulling power.

If you obtain your local towing weight laws and obtain fine print of vehicle's towing section, you might see the 1,500 lbs rule. And, your local towing laws might be 2,000 or even 3,000 lbs rule (like in my region). Take smaller number of these critical numbers. Thus, if your attached trailer is over 1,500 lbs, then the trailer needs its own brakes. If wondering, I've towed with and without trailer brakes (and still keeping UNDER my local law of 3,000 lbs rule). After comparing this night and day comparison, all my trailers above 1,500 lbs behind V6 Tow Vehicle get full electric brakes. Period!! This is also why my "new to me" boat trailer (combined max weight of 2,800 lbs) is getting its own trailer brakes installed NOW as well. For my V6 Tow Vehicle, I won't pull any trailer over 1,500 lbs without brakes.

The weight of boat trailer and boat is often under estimated by many as well. For example, boat might be 2,100 lbs (dry weight) and boat trailer might be 400 lbs. But, loaded boat (with full tank of gas, mandatory gear, optional gear) is often 300-500 lbs more. When determining combined load without too much hassle, I simply research the boat tire numbers. For example, my boat trailer uses st185/80d13 tires. And, I know my boat and trailer were sold "brand new" as combined combo. Therefore, its MAX load is rated at 2 x 1480 lb (or 2960 lbs) - even though my trailer's axle tag has 3,200 lbs stamped on it. In a perfect world, one must always "load up" their boat and trailer as if going on a road trip. Then, scale weight the boat. By scale weight, one can tell if boat's inner weight is balanced (re: left and right sides are near equal) and its toque weight (around 8%-12% - "AVERAGE OF 10%" of total weight) is good as well.

For tonque weight, take boat's total "loaded" weight (scale weight is best) and take 10% of this number. For example, 2960 lbs trailer/boat at 10% is 300 lbs. Thus, your Tow Vehicle's hitch should be rated for 300 lbs. For me, I never buy a Class I or Class II hitch. If I spend money to buy a hitch, I'd only buy Class III or better. Class IV if its near the same price. Thus, allowing buffer for harsh railway tracks and for pulling the total "loaded weight" up steep boat ramps.

Bottom line.... Do "double / triple check" your numbers BEFORE buying. And, remember that boats/trailers are often heavier than advertized. And, "loaded" Tow Vehicles pull less than advertized as well. Especially when pulling boat/trailer up steep boat ramps... Never trust a saleman about weight "numbers". Especially since its you (not the sales guy) - who will be driving / towing this specfic "loaded" TV + "loaded" Boat Trailer combo.

Hope this helps...

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Towing 2008 Sea Ray 185 Sport with Ford Edge AWD?

RTM- read the manual.

That will tell you best.